Special Place | Teen Ink

Special Place

October 25, 2007
By Anonymous

As I walked into my old childhood house in Deer Park, all these memories came floating around me. I thought to myself what my life would be like if I was still living there. My Mom knew how scared I was about loosing her, so she made me one promise she promised not to break. She promised me as long as I lived she would never die. Little did I know that all promises can be broken.
Right before my brother's ninth birthday, my mom passed away leaving not only me but my family in the cold. With her being the backbone of our family, we were all left crippled. Once everyone saw how we couldn’t recover, we were forced to separate into the warp-hole of the system. When put into Child Protective Services, your put into a lost hope with no coming out the same.
I knew when my mother passed away that everything would go downhill from there. I just wasn’t expecting it to go so fast. Life shows us many different lessons, many twists and turns, and dead ends. I know this is evident in my life because ever since I moved from my house in Deer Park, I’ve been shown that nothing is secure. When I was told that I to never latch on to a family because you never know what can happen. That was the only good advice I had received that proved to be true. From foster home to foster home, I learned not to depend on others to fulfill my happiness that it could only come from within. Even though I have moved over and over through the last seven years, I never expected to get the support from other families and the wisdom I have today. There was no way I could have kept going without the encouragement of these families that took me in and called me theirs.

Being able to go back to my old house and still remember my childhood and still remember the smell my mothers’ homemade cheese enchiladas was nothing but a treasure to me. All the times we shared as a family that cannot die, or leave me. What I have learned from this experience is that not all things are going to come out as you plan. You just have to pick up the pieces from behind and work with what you got.