Mr.Brightside

Author's note: It's my childhood
Author's note: It's my childhood  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

A Slap in the Face

I’ll go into a little more detail about details each chapter. So by third grade, out of a class of seventeen or so, I had made a grand total of four real friends. Their names were Luke, Mark, Marge, and Becky. We joked around in class a lot, not getting into serious trouble, just getting yelled at for talking in class and such. I knew the rest of the class, but I didn’t consider them friends. One of these people was named Susan. Although she was very close to Marge, Susan and I never got along, one of us would always try to one up the other, her usually winning. I didn’t have the language at this age, but I believe the term I would’ve used back then to describe her was “B****”
In third grade, at age nine, Marge and I were looking at a cocoon in the playground, our third grade minds still wrapping around the idea of a bug wrapping itself up for months.
“Look Marge, it’s a huge cocoon!” I exclaimed when we found it. I heard footsteps closing in on me, and me and Marge both turned around to see Susan.
“Actually, it’s called a chrysalis. Get a brain moron!” She said as she started to laugh. Marge, who agreed with me earlier, started to laugh at me also. I thought for a second, and then, without hesitation, I reached out and slapped Susan with the back of my hand, causing her to fall down and start to cry.
“Whoops.” I said. “That’s called a slap.”
She ran to get a teacher, and I could tell my fate was sealed and I was doomed. Our teacher, Mrs.Curski, materialized next to me, and went on a rant about how much trouble I would be in later when we got inside. The new punishment system was a card that had the numbers zero, one, two, and three on it. Zero being the best and three being the worst; and my card flew to three faster than I could even say “chrysalis.”
From then on, Susan and I became friends. There are some things you can’t do without becoming friends, and back handing someone appeared to be one of those more unlikely things.