New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Unpredictable Me

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Final Destination

My mom is an occupational therapist. Being a therapist in general, you have to take courses routinely. A couple of years ago, my mom decided to change it up and take a course at a ski resort in Wintergreen, Virginia. She even decided to take me with her, and accompanying us would be my mom’s friend who is an occupational therapy assistant and her daughter, my best friend, Kemi.
We all rode together for the three-hour voyage to the mountains. Along the ride, we saw a gas station and decided to stop and use the restroom. When walking into their only restroom, the first thing that hit us was the smell; it smelled as if the place had never been cleaned, but obviously been used many times. So, I just said, “I can hold it.” Everyone else used the hole in the ground.
When we finally arrived, it felt as though I just entered the gates of heaven. The resort was absolutely beautiful! We didn’t think it could get any better until we got to our condo. The moment we stepped in the condo, all of our jaws dropped. The place had two floors and was equipped with a full kitchen.
All day, Kemi and I would hang out at the resort, while our mothers took courses. We would go off on the trails by ourselves and find miscellaneous things. Also, we would do every activity the resort would offer. We were both curious children, so we were bound to end up in trouble eventually. Our trouble came when we both decided to take the ski lift. It was October, so there was no snow for anyone to ski on, but to make money they allowed the lift to run and all you had to do was purchase a ticket to ride on it. So, Kemi and I bought our tickets one afternoon and caught a trolley to the top of the mountain. Our excitement was uncontrollable by the time we were a mile away from the top. As soon as we got off the trolley, we exchanged looks as if we were saying, “This is it.” We watched two teenage boys ride the lift, swaying back and forth with the wind. The seats were a bold blue color and looked extremely old. The decision was unanimous: we weren’t going to risk our lives on that death trap. So instead, we walked to the operators and asked them if they could call a trolley for us. They rolled their eyes and reluctantly called. Kemi and I stood in what felt like -30 degree weather waiting, waiting, and waiting some more. Both of us were starting to regret not eating before we left. We stood hugging each other for warmth and slowly eating our “last meal,” some nerds the driver of the trolley gave us. I said to Kemi, “If I die today, I want you to know that I love you.” she replied, “I love you too, Chelsea.” It felt like it was hours before the trolley came. Thinking about it now, it was probably no more than 20 minutes. Smiles grew across our faces when we saw the trolley make its way up the mountain to save us.
The rest of the trip just got better and more adventurous. Friends are wonderful for many reasons -- one being that they will hug you in the freezing cold to keep warm. I am glad that I have a friend like Kemi for that experience that I will never forget.