Unpredictable Me

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Food for Thought

Just hearing that my cousin was pregnant brought joy to all of my family. Then, we found out that it was a girl, too, which was a definite bonus. In my opinion, I was the happiest of all, probably because I knew our family had a desperate need for children.
On November 26, 2004, my little “sister” was born. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I was 9 years old and it was the day after Thanksgiving. My mom called me downstairs and said, “Letitia just had her baby!” And all I could do was smile really wide.
The first time I saw the baby, Ciara, in person was on Christmas Day. My mom got the short end of the stick, and Christmas dinner was at our house. Everyone was having a good time until my cousin, Janelle, began to speak, and whenever she spoke, it was guaranteed to be about someone in the family. The topic of Janelle’s rant for the day was, just my luck, me. I can’t remember what she said, but it was enough to make me run to my room crying.
When I got to my room, sitting on my bed was Letitia, holding 3 week old Ciara. Instantly, I felt ashamed of how my room looked; extraneous items covered my floor and at least half of my bed. She didn’t even ask me what was wrong, all she said was, “Do you want to hold her?’’ Miraculously, my tears dried and a smile grew on my face! That was the first time I held a baby, and I loved it! A few minutes later, Ciara got cranky and Letitia told me she was hungry. By the age of 9, I knew few things about babies, but one thing I knew for sure is most got breast-fed. I really did not want to witness that, so I took it as my cue to leave. I told her I thought I should eat dinner now. She chuckled and I left the room, making sure to close the door behind me.
That was by far one of the best days of my life! Ciara and I are like sisters and best friends. Sometimes it seems like life can’t get any worse, and then in an instant, it’s like life can’t get any better! Thank you, Janelle.