Modern Warfare Remastered on Xbox One | Teen Ink

Modern Warfare Remastered on Xbox One

January 24, 2017
By Cam_Benson BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Cam_Benson BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't put anything dumb for your quote" ~Mom


First person shooter games, AKA FPS games,  have been a very popular genre of games ever since 'Wolfenstein 3D' was released in May, 1992. This game is considered the father of FPS games. Many franchises have made money from FPS games. One of the most notable of these games is Call of Duty. Call of Duty is a long running franchise that started in October, 2003. Since 2003, a Call of Duty game has been released every year, except 2004. This makes a total of fourteen games as of December, 2016. These numbers don’t quite add up. This year, two Call of Duty games have been released, 'Infinite Warfare' and 'Modern Warfare Remastered'. 'Modern Warfare' was released back in 2007 as the fourth Call of Duty game in the franchise. It strayed away from the classic WWII theme, and decided to take a more modern approach. It takes place in 2011, in the future at the time. This game is considered by many to be the best Call of Duty so far, and fans wanted a 'Modern Warfare 4', but that didn’t happen. Instead, we got yet another futuristic Call of Duty, 'Infinite Warfare', but I won’t talk much about it.


This year, 'Infinite Warfare' wasn’t received all that well. The reveal trailer had gotten over 2.23 million dislikes, making it the second most disliked video on YouTube. Although 'Infinite Warfare' was hated quite a bit, a new hope had arisen for the franchise, 'Modern Warfare Remastered'. It was made in response to fans wanting 'Modern Warfare 4'. It was included only in a bundle for 'Infinite Warfare' for $80. This technically made 'Modern Warfare Remastered' only $20. The downside is fans could only get it through these bundles, making some fans very upset. I think it was a great deal, two games for the price of one and a third. I play 'Modern Warfare Remastered' more myself, as I had loved the original 'Modern Warfare'. Everything is beautifully renewed, from graphics to the multiplayer. I will review how 'Modern Warfare' has been remastered, the campaign, and the multiplayer.


Someone obviously can't remaster a game without updating graphics. The graphics in the original 'Modern Warfare' were good for the time, but now that I look back at it, they look very bad. The colors look so much better. There is more contrast between light and dark, while in the original, some colors just blended in with each other. Objects have much more detail than before. Another wonderful thing they did was revamp the weapons. In the original game, the M16A4 was very overpowered, and favored by many. I never used it much, but I hated going against people who used it. One burst from it could eliminate a player in a second. Now it takes around two or three bursts now. One of my favorite things they added are supply drops. Supply drops contain many items, such as calling cards, emblems, camos, weapons, and more. Every supply drop gives the player three items, and each items can be a different rarity. Commons are found everywhere, rares are decent but usually not that good, legendaries are great, and epics are usually the best. One of my favorite parts of 'Modern Warfare' was the campaign. It was action packed and always kept you on your toes. The remastered campaign is probably my favorite thing about the whole game.


The campaign takes place in 2011, and the world is falling apart. Russia is at civil war, and the middle east is very unstable. You play as two characters: U.S. Sergeant Paul Jackson, and S.A.S. Private John ‘Soap’ MacTavish. In every Call of Duty, I play through the campaign first. Even though I had played it in the original game I decided to play it again. I was in complete awe at how beautiful it was. Everything was so much brighter and vibrant, in my eyes at least. I was excited to see my old favorite characters looking brand new. They had much more detail in the face and on their clothes. There seemed to be more destruction in the missions. There were broken walls and cars that weren’t in the original. Fire was also in places in the background, adding to the war feel. On the first mission, I found a glowing laptop. This instantly triggered a memory of the Intel. Intel are collectibles scattered throughout the campaign. The more you find, the more cheats you unlock. You can also get a few Achievements/Trophies via intel. Playing through the campaign will get you many Achievements/Trophies, and if you play on a harder difficulty, even more. One thing does make me a little upset. You don’t get anything in game for the multiplayer. I suppose it’s fine, as there are hundreds of things to unlock online.


The online has altered majorly, from the maps to how the game feels. My favorite maps look brand new, or destroyed better in some cases. The weapons also have a few changes. As I mentioned earlier some weapons have become more balanced. This means people won’t go 30 and 0 using only one mag with the Saw. This simply means they can get 30 kills without reloading. I’m the kind of person that loves to customize my stuff in games, such as cars, armor, and weapons. In the original 'Modern Warfare', there were a few camos, but not as many as they have now. There are fifty plus new camos for your guns, allowing for more uniqueness on the battlefield. Two new customization options in 'Modern Warfare Remastered’ not in the original include weapon kits and reticles. Weapon kits alter the overall look of the gun, and not just a certain area. Reticles are what the sights look like when you aim down the sights. While all these good changes have been made to the game, there have been some things they forgot to fix. Online, I feel like the teams aren’t always balanced. I will be teamed up with level 1 to 25 players, the new players, while the other team is around prestige 5, advanced players. This always doesn’t happen to me. Sometimes, I’m on the overpowered team. We wreck the low levels to the point where they stop trying and stand still.


'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered' has been a major improvement in Call of Duty history, with new mechanics, customization options, and improved graphics. If you look back at 'Wolfenstein 3D', and compare it to 'Modern Warfare Remastered', you can definitely see how FPS games have evolved over 24 years. 'Modern Warfare Remastered' is a great game overall, with very few flaws, and these flaws are sometimes controllable. The game feels like a brand new game, and not just a remake. I feel like they put just a bit more effort into the campaign than the online, design wise that is. Overall, this great game is one of my favorite games of all times, as was the original for a year or so. I will give this game a final rating of 9.6/10. A fantastic score for a fantastic game.