Old Is New in Video Games | Teen Ink

Old Is New in Video Games

By Brandon Turley BRONZE, Akron, Ohio
Brandon Turley BRONZE, Akron, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On September 22, Mega Man 9 was released worldwide. The game was released digitally and can be downloaded just like any other downloadable game these days. There is only one major difference between this game and the others: it looks like a game from the 80s. While most people would dismiss this game simply because of its looks, the gaming community knows exactly why the game looks and plays the way it does, and the reason is simple: Newer is not always better.

For over ten years, Mega Man has been through many changes, in both appearance and game play, but it has never been the same. After the release of Mega Man ZX, the blue bomber had been through 4 different series of games. Mega Man is now the gaming franchise with the largest amount of games in the world., but when it comes down to fun and quality, it's always Mega Man classic that gainers turn to.

Capcom, the creators of the now elderly Mega Man series, apparently took note of this and, after ten years of waiting, created a true sequel to Mega Man 8. The release of Mega Man 9 marked the beginning of Mega Man's downgrade to a better series.

Mega Man isn't the only character to be downgraded, Wario, Mario's popular nemesis, has returned to his 2'd dimension roots with Wario Land: Shake It!, the fifth installment of the Wario Land game series. Using an incredibly detailed animation style, the second-party developer "Good-Feel" games (Hehe) has created what is essentially a playable cartoon. The visual style, combined with the motion controls of the popular Wii gaming console, make for a great combination of new and old technology.

A third title, which is a bit more unsettling than the other two, has caught the attention of the gaming community. Silent Hill: Homecoming, the sixth game in the Silent Hill series (eighth counting the arcade game and the cell phone game), remains true to the previous entries, even though it is now developed by an American company. To this day, the Silent Hill series remains largely untouched (with minor changes to the more problematic areas), we can expect the series' trademark symbolic and disturbing imagery along with the occasional scare from developer Double Helix's game.

Even though we live in a world of quickly progressing technology, there is still a demand out there to go back to simpler methods and styles. As long as this demand stays within the gaming community, we can always expect the old to become new again in video games.