Dragon Fantasy Volumes of Westeria | Teen Ink

Dragon Fantasy Volumes of Westeria

September 10, 2015
By Fanfiction13 PLATINUM, Somewhere, Other
Fanfiction13 PLATINUM, Somewhere, Other
28 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's no fame without fans.


A retro classic or modern day blast from the past, you decide! Dragon Fantasy: Volumes of Westeria is a turn based RPG harkening back to the days of games like Final Fantasy and Earthbound. The combat is tough, but fair. If you just go in headstrong on every quest you will most certainly die a lot. The game makes sure you plan out who attacks, who goes on the defense, who casts spells, etc. You also have to plan on what you see and hear in the game. It allows you to switch between two different kinds of games and music. You can have old-school music and graphics such as pixels and such or have modern-day sprites and music. It is an overall unique mechanic, but has a flaw of both types of music being able to be told when they repeat. Dragon Fantasy consists of four different stories and three of which follow the same main plot. That main plot is about the Dark Knight, emissary of the Dark Lord, coming to the castle of Wester and kidnapping Prince Marlon. He then lays an illness on the castle and the story branches off to the view of the three main characters at that moment. The first story, titled “Dragon Fantasy”, follows a warrior named Ogden. At the age of sixteen Ogden saves a Queen named Becca from a dragon, and he is appointed her personal guard. Thirty years later, where our game takes place, Ogden goes in search of the Legendary Armor, Sword, and Shield to go and slay the Dark Knight and his master, the Dark Lord to save the town of Wester. Ogden’s story is one of two quests where a capture system is used. The capture system is where you use an item called the Capture Net (which can be found throughout the game in hidden places or bought) to bring monsters into your party to fight for you. The idea is a novel one, but executed terribly being the fact that you can’t replace or release monsters you have previously caught. You also cannot level them up to make them stronger. The next story is titled “The Heir Unapparent” which follows the perspective of Prince Anders. Prince Anders is part of the royal family of Wester. Being Prince he is given the chance to be king, but he declines. He is reluctant and scared to handle being responsible for important things. All that changes when the Dark Knight comes to Wester to capture Prince Marlon. He is put on a quest to find an amulet his father mentioned in a book and see how it connects to the Dark Knight and how it might aid Ogden in his quest. The third story is “Operation Desert Plunder” and follows the perspective of Jerald. Jerald is a thief who is not much for questing. Instead he focuses on collecting artifacts to earn money. His goal is to earn 20,000 gold, and travel away from his desert home with his niece, Romana. This story is where it shows the depth that each character has and how well they progress in each story. The last story is titled as an intermission and instead parodies a certain game called Minecraft. After our heroes get stranded on an island they see that the landscape around them is especially blocky. Being intrigued by this they go to explore the island. They then discover a village nearby and see a certain Swedish man. He is weak and asks of you to obtain his hat which will return his power to him. This story is where the comedic aspect of the game shines. The game’s comedy includes, but not limited to parodying other games and RPG cliches/mechanics. Most of the stories end abruptly with barely any focus on tying up what they have completed. That being there are no sidequests to complete after you beat each story leaving no reason to come back to the game. Despite its flaws, Dragon Fantasy: Volumes of Westeria is a game to be enjoyed by RPG fans of new and old alike.