F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin on Xbox 360, PS3, PC | Teen Ink

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin on Xbox 360, PS3, PC

September 24, 2014
By OutrageousTomb1 PLATINUM, Florissant, Missouri
OutrageousTomb1 PLATINUM, Florissant, Missouri
22 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Oh hi, Mark.


In 2005, Monolith Productions released two first-person shooters with an emphasis on horror. One of these games was F.E.A.R., which was largely inspired by films like Ringu, Ju-on, Dark Water, and Hard Boiled. It was an enjoyable and creepy ride that was critically and commercially successful. So, you would expect there to be a sequel, and there was. But first, a name had to be made for it. A naming contest was opened and 3 subtitles emerged as finalists: Dead Echo, Dark Signal, and Project Origin. Based on the first game's backstory, you could tell which one would win.

Released in 2009 and developed once again by Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin was the second title in the F.E.A.R. series. Following events both before and after the ending of F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin ignores the storylines of the TimeGate Studios-developed expansion packs Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. It also changed up the look of the game and aspects of the gameplay. So how good is this new F.E.A.R. when compared to the first?

Graphically, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin once again uses the LithTech engine. In fact, it uses the LithTech Jupiter EX engine. The same engine that was used in the original F.E.A.R., its two expansions and the Condemned games. Surprisingly, thought, it looks totally different from the first F.E.A.R. Environments are now more varied, and models are significantly better. However, the crisp textures, great lighting, violence, paranormal effects, and John Woo-style destruction are all still here. Thankfully, the PS3 version of the game is on par with the other versions. This may help due to the simultaneous release on all platforms. But I'm not one to complain.

Also like the first F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin boasts great sounds design. The weapons all sound meaty, especially the new mech walkers. The sound effects from the environments and paranormal happenings are also bumped up from the first game, making it just as spooky. Voice acting is also pretty good. It is a shame that Peter Lurie isn't back to play the demented Paxton Fettel. But in his place are good performances by Phil LaMarr and Jen Taylor. Yes, all you Halo fans. The actress behind your beloved Cortana is in F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.

The story of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin begins half an hour before the ending of F.E.A.R. Players take the role of Sgt. Michael Becket, a Delta operator who's squad has been diverted from an operation at the headquarters of Armacham Technology to take Armacham CEO Genevieve Aristede into protective custody. However, just as Becket reaches Aristede, the explosion caused by the protagonist of F.E.A.R. occurs, knocking out Becket and his squad. After an operation scene, the player wakes up in a hospital with two notable differences: Their reflexes have been significantly increased, and they have attached the attention of a ghostly woman named Alma. With help from surviving members of his squad and a man who calls himself "Snake Fist", Becket must fight off the forces of Armacham, the revived Replica soldiers, ghosts, and Alma herself.

Like F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin doesn't tell you the whole story. In order to get the backstory of Project Origin, Project Harbinger, and the various locations, the player must explore for collectible PDAs, which contain this information. However, the main storyline is told through scripted events and a few cutscenes. This will be good for those who found F.E.A.R.'s laptop and phone hunt for vital information to be a chore more than anything. However, one questionable aspect of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is the matter of its ending. While it definitely isn't bad, as it does end on a great cliffhanger, it is up there with the strangest endings of all time. Those who have seen the ending will know exactly what I mean.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin's gameplay is, for the most part, exactly like the first game. This isn't a bad thing, of course. The John Woo-inspired action was in sharp contrast to the game's tense horror segments. Players once again have an arsenal of powerful weapons at their disposal. When combined with the fast reflexes, which create a slow-motion ability, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is immensely enjoyable. Players can once again find boosters to upgrade slow-motion (health boosters are now gone), fight off ghosts, and explore creepy locations.

There are some changes to the formula, though. First and second are the additions of a dedicated sprint button and iron sights. These additions, thankfully, don't hurt the game at all. In fact, in a similar vein to Bioshock Infinite, this can make combat more enjoyable and frenetic. There is also the addition of a "cover system". This translates as literally hitting a button near an object to turn it into cover and pressing the crouch button. This is a pretty useless addition, as you will likely be using the slow-motion ability. There are also new weapons, such as a laser. But by far one of the most unique additions is the mech suits Becket will take control of at certain points in the game. These may seem out of place at first. But you need to remember that Monolith previously made Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, a game focused on large mech suits.

Then there is the question of how well F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin continues the dark, Asian-inspired atmosphere the original game embraced to great effect. Thankfully, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin does carry the atmosphere for the most part. There are some truly great scares that will catch first-time players off guard. The environments of the game, such as an abandoned school and ruined city of Auburn, really take the atmosphere to almost a new level at times. However, it does use some familiar tactics that F.E.A.R. and its expansions used. So some scares won't be as good. But it is still much scarier than more recent mainstream "survival horror" games.

Aside from the lengthy and replayable single-player, there is also a multiplayer component. In comparison to F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin's multiplayer is a total afterthought. It isn't any different from games like Battlefield aside from using F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin's arsenal. However, one mode worth playing is called "Armored Front", which uses the mechs. While there will be fighting to take control of the mech at the start of the match, it is way more fun than any of the other multiplayer options. The multiplayer does get points for somewhat inspiring Call of Duty: Black Ops 2's point-based class system, though.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is very much a single-player focused game, which is a good thing. The single-player is fun, terrifying, challenging, and lengthy. It tells the dark story in an easier-to-approach manner than the original F.E.A.R. Plus the game ends on a great, albeit messed up, cliffhanger. Just do not buy F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin for its lackluster multiplayer. Like Half-Life, Duke Nukem Forever, Bioshock, and the other F.E.A.R. games, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is a must-play single-player FPS.