Patapon | Teen Ink

Patapon MAG

November 25, 2009
By Duk Park BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Duk Park BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are a lot of cool games among the Playstation Portable offerings. I used to think that the fun games should have cool graphics, like “Monster Hunter” or “God of War.” But when I tried “Patapon,” I realized that games can be fun without cool graphics.

“Patapon” is a rhythmic game that some might mistake for a kids' game because of its cuteness and simplicity. A player becomes the Almighty of the Patapon tribe and leads them to IT. As Almighty, you must motivate them to fight the Zigotons. But you don't lead Patapons with ordinary arrow buttons or analog sticks. Instead, you use four keys on the side of the PSP.

What makes “Patapon” unique is that you lead them using drums called Pata (square), Pon (circle), Chaka (triangle), and Don (X), played in four-beat counts. For example, if you want Patapons to attack, you must play Pon Pon Pata Pon (circle circle square circle) with the correct beat. And if you think the situation is dangerous, you can make Patapons run by pressing Pon Pata Pon Pata.

“Patapon” is also a strategy game. There are six types of Patapons; each has unique characteristics and is useful for a special case. So in each situation, you can choose which to use to clear the stage with ease.

If you are interested in rhythmic games, I would strongly suggest you try this one. Once you play, your mind will never stop repeating the four-beat rhythmic sequences.


The author's comments:
Platform: PSP