Honkai Star Rail Review | Teen Ink

Honkai Star Rail Review

August 28, 2023
By jingyuanshrimp SILVER, Manhattan, New York
jingyuanshrimp SILVER, Manhattan, New York
9 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is as ephemeral as dew on a leaf, and full of worldly strife."

- Jing Yuan


Honkai: Star Rail is Chinese gaming company Hoyoverse’s newest game - and it really has me on a leash. I’ve so many great things to say about the game - from the graphics and voice acting to the terrific plot.

Any Honkai Impact fan like me would appreciate this game for the jewel it is. When I first heard of it, I thought, “wow, a Honkai Impact continuation. Sounds neat.” But I’ve come to see that it’s more than just a “continuation” - it’s its own thing. We start the game following Kafka, a stellaron hunter on a mission that is unclear at the start of the game. (Also, can we note how they start the game with Canon in D? A stellar choice, considering that’s the music they chose to end Honkai Impact 3rd with.) As we progress through the game we are introduced to the combat aspect of the game and our main character, the trailblazer. Though I’m not a huge fan of turn-based games (it can get tedious at times), for laid-back people like me I find it quite nice. When I’m not dashing about trying to stay alive, I can finally enjoy the beautifully composed OSTs that play in the background of every battle. Not to mention, the graphics and attack animations are crystal clear and unique to each character. It’s always a joy to bring out my favorite characters and watch them dominate their enemies, all whilst enjoying a bag of potato chips and chilling on the couch. If you feel like not doing anything, just put your game on autoplay - sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Though the autoplay feature does have it’s flaws (watching my Natasha heal a full-HP Blade is painful), the company has just recently patched it up to suit the player’s needs. Now playing the game can feel like watching a movie too. 

One thing I love about Star Rail is that it has something for everyone. If you’re not the kind of person who enjoys combat, you can instead collect your favorite characters. The characters of this game are absolutely stunning - each one is unique to their respective region (as of now, we currently have access to two regions: Belobog and the Xianzhou Luofu). From Lady Bronya to General Jing Yuan, they’re all irresistible and will have you pulling out the wallet for sure. After months of grueling work and saving, you can have the satisfaction of seeing your favorite character in your inventory and then continuing to grind for their level-up materials. 

If you’re the class clown, consider diving into the game’s ‘Data Bank’ feature. Hoyoverse’s earliest game (Honkai Impact 3rd, though there have been games even earlier than that) told of the depressing, heartfelt journey of Kiana Kaslana. Genshin was a game focused around our stoic traveler, filled with camaraderie and hardship. However, Honkai: Star Rail is pure comedy gold. Dig deeper into the Data Banks and you’ll find a hidden Rickroll. Explore Herta Space station and you may come across a magical toilet…

My favorite aspect of all, however, would be the lore. I always gravitate towards the game that can tell a hooking story. Honkai Impact 3rd told a story that I will never forget (rest in peace, Murata Himeko), and Honkai: Star Rail does not fail to deliver. Our MC the Trailblazer begins their journey on the Astral Express (a train that travels on stars, can you believe it?) followed by March 7th, Dan Heng, Welt Yang, and Himeko (I’m getting flashbacks). We travel from planet to planet following the tracks of a stellaron crisis. Stellarons are cancerous objects causing trouble in various planets - and it’s our job to put an end to it. What is most captivating, however, is the story of the Stellaron Hunters - Blade, Silver Wolf, Sam, Elio, and Kafka. Who are they? What do they want? Are they good, or bad? What do good and bad even mean? Are the questions I ask myself. After we leave our first planet (Jarilo-V) we are lured to the Xianzhou Luofu by Kafka (I don’t regret it, Jing Yuan is definitely worth the trip) and I begin to wonder - what could this mysterious woman possibly want from us? This leaves the player digging through the game for any traces and tidbits of lore. Truly mesmerizing for all of you bookworms and scholars out there.

In the end, I have nothing but good things to say about this game - I would write a thousand words only to erase them a thousand times. However, it is still young and it’s future is uncertain. For now, I can enjoy what it has to offer and hope that it gets better and better as time goes on.


The author's comments:

I had trouble organizing my thoughts - as I said myself, "I would write a thousand words only to erase them a thousand times," what words could possibly capture the beauty of this game?