Dexter | Teen Ink

Dexter

June 6, 2014
By ethan_bell BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
ethan_bell BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Who is Dexter Morgan?


What is the addiction that consumes a man? Is it alcohol, drugs, or money that drives man to death in order to get their “fix”? For Dexter Morgan (played by Michael C. Hall), he has a very unusual addiction. In the city of vice and drugs, nightlife and scandal, Dexter’s “work” has caused many issues in itself. For one, Dexter is a serial killer, with too many bodies to count. What is more unusual is that Dexter Morgan is a cop, specifically a forensic blood-splatter analyst, and he kills only criminals to get his “fix”. The criminals he kills are the ones that slip through the cracks; the ones that Dexter finds guilty after personal investigation and that the criminal justice system says are innocent. This is Dexter’s world in the hit show Dexter, which aired on Showtime from 2006-2013.

Dexter lives a by a code to survive living as an active serial killer. This code is bound by morals formed between Dexter and his adopted-father, Harry Morgan. Like Harry, Dexter and his adopted-sister Debra are both cops. The knowledge of being a cop helps Dexter not be caught for what he is: a killer. An incident at an early age caused Dexter to be the way he is, and Harry knew that the only thing that he could do was keep Dexter safe. So, at a young age, he began to teach Dexter his code. The code had many rules, but they all led to one, grand rule: don’t get caught. Dexter uses this code to satisfy his need as a killer, clean the streets, and stay out of trouble. Little does he know, his code had implications both on-show and off.

The show aired on Showtime, a premium TV service, which allowed it to have such graphic subject matter that primetime and “standard” channels could not. After all it’s successes, and its end in the fall of 2013, Dexter has garnered many controversies. Specifically, many fugitives in court cited Dexter as both an inspiration and reason for them to commit some of the most heinous crimes, like murder. A 10 year old, for example, said that Dexter was the reason why he strangled his younger brother, because he “connected” with the struggles that Dexter has. Even at a premium service, Dexter has an influence in crimes, which has brought a bad reputation for the series, but it does not detract from the high marks that the series has received for its eight-season run.

Consistently, Dexter has been reviewed with reviews in the 9/10 or similar marks. The only show that has done better than Dexter in this decade has been Breaking Bad. The show’s plot, narrative, and flashbacks help create a world in which viewers root for their favorite serial killer as he fights to keep from being caught. Michael C. Hall does a great portrayal of Dexter, the awkward, but normal lab nerd who has a passion for killing. The question is: who is Dexter Morgan? Is he a forensics analyst or serial killer in hiding?