The Secret Life of the American Teenager | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of the American Teenager

One of ABC Family’s new hit shows is The Secret Life of the American Teenager, starring Molly Ringwald (Sixteen Candles) as Anne Juergens, mother to good-girl teenager Amy Juergens (Shailene Woodley). Within minutes of the beginning of the first episode, you find out that Amy is pregnant -- the result of a one night stand with the drummer, Ricky (Daren Kagsoff) at band camp. Amy keeps the secret to herself at first, but eventually caves to her two best friends. She puts off telling her new boyfriend Ben, Ricky, and her family for the first couple of episodes. Her sister Ashley, eventually figures out what is going on after noticing the changes in Amy’s life-style.

So far, The Secret Life of the American Teenager has been entertaining. The more recent episode attracted more viewers then the Gossip Girl finale did. The lead actress is perfect for the part; she’s innocent, yet guilty, and like many teens, dealing with a serious problem in her life. The show explores what many teenagers in this age deal with everyday -- pressure from friends, rumors, fighting at home, and their own personal problems.
I recommend this show to any body ages thirteen and up due to multiple references to teenage pregnancy and sex. Tune into ABC Family at eight, seven central every Tuesday for a new episode of The Secret Life of the American Teenager.