Charmed | Teen Ink

Charmed MAG

By Anonymous

    I recently viewed the new show "Charmed" on the WB network, about three sisters who discover that they are witches with magical powers. I was dismayed to find I had wasted a whole hour of my life watching it. It is severely lacking in originality. "Charmed" uses ideas from shows that have made it big with teenagers. Throw in two parts "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" for action and the "chosen one" theme, one part "Melrose Place" for "young adults on their own" appeal, one part "The Craft" for the magical and creepy theme, then toss in a dash of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" for a little campiness - and you've got the basic recipe for "Charmed."

The WB seems particularly adroit at making shows that lack entertainment value. They seem impervious to the fact that the shows that do have value (such as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Dawson's Creek," and "Felicity") are extremely unique and have an appeal all their own. I will be the first to admit that I tend to scrutinize a show for entertainment value. However, there is no way I could ever be coerced into watching another episode of "Charmed."

Trying to point out all the flaws in this show gives me a headache. First, there are so many different elements that it becomes more than slightly annoying that none of them mesh well. Three sisters who are witches must deploy their special talents to fight evil with their abilities to stop time, see the future and employ telekinesis. They also discover evil warlocks are out to kill them and steal their powers. So, basically, the sisters are chosen to save the world, but first they need to figure out how to get along with each other, use their powers properly; keep up a pretense of a normal life and date, on top of all that.

My opinion of this show is extremely low and I wouldn't recommend watching it unless you have absolutely nothing better to do. Unless this show develops its own sense of style and originality, "Charmed" is more than likely going onto the trash heap..