Glee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Can we have a round of applause for a realistic show about high school? Thank you.

“Glee,” a new series on FOX, is about students trying to find their niche. And they do – in the Glee Club. Their principal is looking for any excuse to cancel the club (since the last director was fond of flirting with members). Enter Will, the (cute) Spanish teacher and a former Glee Club member himself, who takes over to help the club regain its former glory. But there's a tough road ahead.

With a talented cast – featuring Lea Michele from “Spring Awakening” and Matthew Morrison from “Hairspray” – “Glee” is the most realistic portrayal of high school students on television.

I am gleeful to see this show break stereotypes and inject honesty into its writing. Unlike with Blair Waldorf or Naomi Clark, I can relate to these characters (they don't walk around dropping brand names). They are searching for who they are because they don't fall into trite social categories like jocks, cheerleaders, etc. And what a relief to find a student in a wheelchair (Arty) outside of a Hallmark made-for-TV movie. I feel warmth after watching “Glee,” compared with my desperate urge to buy hairbands after watching “Gossip Girl.”

I'm not a fan of “High School Musical,” yet I enjoy the singing and dancing in “Glee.” Unlike “HSM,” which was directed at preteens, these characters have depth. Rachel is a talented girl who wants to be accepted by her peers and to be special, and Finn is a jock who plays football and endures his teammates' teasing because he enjoys singing. “High School Musical” – cheesiness + real life – unrealistic plans to save the day = “Glee.”

Sure, “Glee” contains some clichés – Rachel is going to fall for Finn – but in spite of this, I think the show will inspire teenagers, and even teachers who have lost the love for what they do. Why? It's honest. It is not extravagant or pure fairy tale.

It's real.

postdog565 said...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 9:16 am:

I love the new song Singing In The Rain/Umbrella. i listen to it at school and my friend and i skip through the halls it is fun and funny

BieberFever20 said...
i love glee!!!

WritingJulia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's a great show and I believe it's brining alot of teens to appreciate the arts.  Good review!

Mani blue :) said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 10:17 am:
me too charice was awesome! that song is now my favorite . ima gleek!

lnvo97 said...
i love GLEE!!! i mostly liked the first episode of the second season, i had Telephone stuck in my head for a week!!!

pageturnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
one of my favorites is "The power oF Madonna". The title is dorky, but the episode was good. It shows how strong women are!

great review. finally a show that people can relate too. btw, some of the songs glee sings are pretty good.

SimplyBia said...

Nice review ;)

Check out mine about the Glee Season Finale

TeenInk.com/reviews/tv_show_reviews/article/231614/Glee-Season-Finale/

Writingstar said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm:
im a gleek for life! best show ever

Ninja_Writer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:24 am:
I love Glee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mixture of drama, comedy, and music gives the show dimension and makes it versatile. The review is so great! I hope you keep on writing!

trblueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm:

i am happy to be a GLEEK!

r u? after i see glee i feel like singing myself. i am mad how rachel and her "mom" look alike. i love it some people get it all wrong. and if you did not know where her "mom" she was off of rent like the film and broad way. you might want to look at theat movie 2.

Grace V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 29, 2010 at 9:28 pm :

The actress who plays Rachel's biological mother is Idina Menzel. She's a star from Broadway. I loved her in Wicked and Rent. She's really awesome. Ryan Murphy, the producer cast her because of her similarity to Lea Michele. Lea herself said that growing up people always commented that she looks like Idina. So cool right?

And I am happy to be a Gleek too. :) Its a great show

BieberFever20 replied...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm :
:)))))))))

purplegurl12345 said...
May 19, 2010 at 3:47 pm:

I LOVE Glee! My favorite episode was yesterday's: "Dream On". 

Even if Glee does get a little dorky, it is a perfect mix of comedy, drama, mystery, and good music!

inkprincess replied...
May 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm :

"Dream On" was ahhhmazinggg!!! NPH + Matthew Morrison = nearly religious experiance.  lovelovelove<3

and i like this article, especially in regards to the whole superficial, consumerism-driven show vs. glee, but i disagree with the last line.  i think the whole point of the show is that it's overdone; its both a  commentary on the reality of high school and a mocking parody of how high school is commercialized as a place where anything can happen: slushie facials... (more »)

May 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm :

I agree with yu that its not real anymore. I based this review on the first episode which was a bit real. 

But the realism I was talking about was the struggle of teenagers in high school, the struggle with being different. The story line isn't too realistic anymore but its still a great watch. :)

inkprincess replied...
May 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm :
Alright yeah i agree with you completely... not too realistic anymore, but totally entertaining!

singdancelaugh123 said...
May 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm:
yes, i agree. this show is amazing. i love it. its my favorite show. i abosolutley recommend this show. anyone who hasnt seen it is missing out!!!!!

CassieSherman14This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 15, 2010 at 9:23 pm:
I've never watched this show before ,but it sounds like a good show. What's your favorite episode?

May 16, 2010 at 6:02 am :
My favourite episode so far is definitely HOME. The music they chose for that episode was really moving. :) But the Pilot was still good. You should watch it. Its not as 'clean' as it started out but its not too bad.