lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar by Robert Plant This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

In this day in age, the odds are split in half of the possibility that any person under the age of thirty has heard of the legendary “Stairway to Heaven” by mega rock band, Led Zeppelin. It is with the lead guitarist’s, Jimmy Page, nimble and quick fingertips and Robert Plant’s blues-like, smooth vocals, rough wails, and excessive moaning that brought nearly every song produced by Zeppelin together like a needle and thread. The other two members of the band, John Bonham and John Paul Jones, contributed greatly as well, but unfortunately, they are not given the credit that they so rightfully deserve when it comes to recognizing the overwhelming success that Led Zeppelin took on in the seventies. It was no secret that Plant and Page were the main powerhouse when it came to delivering mind-blowing hits such as “Kashmir” and “Black Dog,” both of which were just a couple of many songs that charted in several different countries for elongated amounts of time. The band had grown so largely popular, that in just a short, couple years, they had become larger than The Beatles; an accomplishment that most bands could only dream of.

As most members of sovereign super-groups do, solo careers were carried out by both Plant and Page; the duo even spending a small period of time doing works with each other. However, they did part ways musically and took on new projects alone. Robert Plant was, arguably, the most successful of the band when it came to having a post-Zeppelin solo career; having charting songs like “In the Mood” and “Big Log.” The two biggest hits for Plant are both from his album “The Principle of Moments,” which charted in the top ten in both the United Kingdom and United States.

Over the years, the rock legend, also nicknamed as “Percy,” has produced ten studio albums, the latest being titled “Lullaby and… the Ceaseless Roar.” Released in September of 2014, Plant proved to the ones with an old soul and ears for rock n’ roll that he was similar to a fine wine; only getting better with age. Although he is relatively young to the likes of other rock legends that are still kicking today, he is one of the few lead singers of bands from that period that can still hold a note just as strongly as he did when he was in his prime.

In the album, Plant pours his folksy heart out with an alternative rock twist that most would categorize as indie, but there are a couple of tracks that could be classified as psychedelic, in a way. The overall essence of the album is certainly a special kind that would take you on a trip throughout the nearly fifty minute set without a shadow of a doubt. Plant’s efforts into mixing modern musical components with his classic songwriting talents seemed to have paid off, considering the positive reviews he got from critics when the album was initially released.

Although every song on the album isn’t my personal cup of tea, per se, there are a couple that are the reasons I fell in love with the album in the first place. “Rainbow,” perhaps the most successful song from the album, is a track that is undeniably one of Plant’s best solo works. Its introduction was the hook that brought me in at first, but as the lyrics were sung, it was obvious to me that from that moment on, I would carry that song with me forever. The vibes from the song are experienced differently based on the type of media you’re using; whether it’s through a record player, headphones, or a car radio. No matter how you listen to the song or even the album in general, the quality and talent of the piece are nothing less than absolute bliss.