Extreme | Teen Ink

Extreme MAG

By Anonymous

   Through the years there have been many Boston bands to hit it big, including Aerosmith, Billy Squier, Boston, and The J.Geils Band. Another band can now be added to the list - Extreme.

Extreme hails from Malden and their debut album is a killer. If you are an Aerosmith or Van Halen fan I would highly recommend this album. Lead singer Gary Cherone sounds like a mix of early David Lee Roth and Steven Tyler with a little Vince Neil (Motley CrPIe) tossed in. Any true Aerosmith fan will quickly realize the affect Joe Perry has had on guitarist Nuno Bettencourt as their styles of play are very similar. Bass player Pat Badger and Drummer Paul Geary round out the Extreme roster.

The album opens with the hard-rocking blues-like tune "Little Girls." The first single off the album is "Kid Ego," a song directed towards arrogant and stuck-up people. One of the best songs on the album is "Mutha (Don't Wanna Go To School Today)." The song begins with a vicious minute and a half guitar solo and it has quickly become the theme song of my friends and me. The album closes with a song from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure," a fast-paced tune entitled "Play With Me."

I would highly recommend this album to any rock fan. But if you are a fan of early Van Halen or any Aerosmith, this album is a must.