Placebo -- Black Market Music | Teen Ink

Placebo -- Black Market Music MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

   Placebo is one of the best, if not the best, alternative bands. Its success is due tofrontman Brian Molko, especially his insolence. He's an androgynous 25-year-oldguy with a high-pitched voice full of emotion. Placebo doesn't write universallyrics like other bands, but it speaks about feelings, and since we all have thesame emotions, the songs become universal without being conformist. With thisapproach, Placebo maintains its reputation as an original and uniqueband.

"Black Market Music" is Placebo's third album. At thefirst listening, it's difficult to like its industrial sound. Placebo wasn'tlooking to make money, though, only to be listened to and appreciated.

The first single released was "Taste in Men," but it was seldomplayed on the radio and was soon forgotten. Far from being bad, however, thissong is just misunderstood, and is full of meaning. As the album progresses, wediscover its themes.

Some songs may disappoint, but others are true worksof art. No one will get bored listening to "Special K," the matureversion of the ancient "Nancy Boy" song, and there's the thrilling,blistering "Haemoglobin" as well as dark songs like "BlueAmerican." You certainly will not forget "Passive Aggressive,"which is the heart of the album.

While listening to "Black MarketMusic," listeners will go from moshing to looking for their lighters. Thesongs alternate between mellow and industrial, and we ask for more! Al-hough"Passive Aggressive" is a different style from the other selections onthe album, it's the song that makes the album.

"Black MarketMusic" is a must-have for your collection, Placebo fan or not.