“Eat Me, Drink Me” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Marilyn Manson is one of my favorite artists. His latest album, “Eat Me, Drink Me,” was released last June and was, I’m sad to say, a major letdown.

Marilyn Manson has quite a unique sound. It’s difficult to think of an artist even remotely like him. Manson is placed in the metal genre, along with Rob Zombie, Jack Off Jill, and Slipknot. Some of Manson’s major influences include David Bowie, Kiss, and Alice Cooper. I have always loved Manson’s distinctive sound, but his sixth and (supposed) final album was definitely not up to par.

First off, “Eat Me, Drink Me” has only 11 tracks, totaling about 52 minutes. It’s quite apparent that the album took only four months to make. Most of the tracks sound very similar. The only two songs that stuck out were “The Red Carpet Grave” and “Heart-Shaped Glasses.” These two are at least a little catchy, because they have a more upbeat tempo in the chorus.

Manson’s vocals even seem to be lacking on this CD. He sounds lazy, whiny, and unmotivated. The first song, “If I Was Your Vampire,” is one of the worst songs on the album, in my opinion. It drags on and seems to put the listener into a kind of stupor. It’s actually a nice glimpse at the rest of the CD, which is not a good thing.

I’m sorry to say this, but it may be time for Marilyn Manson & the Spooky Kids to hang it up. This last album shows both losing their spark. The entire CD is somewhat depressing and exhausting.

Manson’s 2004 release, “Lest We Forget: The Best of Marilyn Manson,” was supposed to be his final album. He should have stuck with that plan. His sound is not good anymore, and he seems to have lost his creativity.

The only reason for anyone to buy this CD would be to finish a collection of Manson’s works. Otherwise it’s not worth spending money on a CD that is possibly this artist’s worst.

Lillith_Hereticae said...
Dec. 22, 2010 at 10:49 am
I agree with you haha. But they definitely redeemed themselves with THEOL. Thank God Twiggy's back.