The Traveler by Mikey Wax | Teen Ink

The Traveler by Mikey Wax

By Lena21 BRONZE, Vacaville, California
Lena21 BRONZE, Vacaville, California

There’s something about Mikey Wax that makes me know it won’t be long until his name is familiar in the households of many. In a nation of music-lovers and star-spotters, word of mouth is often sufficient when it comes to generating celebrity. For this reason, Mikey has set out a number of house tours (which are indeed, exactly what they sound like- a concert in your living room) aimed at creating a fan base on a personal, yet widespread level. As a New Yorker, Mikey often performed on the East Coast, so when I discovered, by way of his website, that he would be touring on the West Coast this time, I immediately requested that he come my way. Through a thread of emails over the course of a few months, we set the time, date and place. Contrary to the point of a “house tour” I asked him to perform at my school, taking this amazing opportunity and turning it into a fund-raiser for a club in new of financial aid. Before I knew it, Mikey was calling me to tell me he was about an hour away. Shortly after, he pulled up to the curb, all by himself in a rented car full of musical equipment, stepped out and gave me a hug. All smiles and friendly conversation, it felt as though we had known each other for years. It wasn’t until he began to play about an hour later that I remembered that he was a musician- a very talented musician. His mastery of vocals, piano and guitar provided a stunning one-man show. The songs that I had loved and listened to for years were, played live, even more beautiful. Mikey’s Albums, “Change Again,” “For Better or Worse,” and “The Traveler,” are characterized by a gentle acoustic rhythm and resonating lyrics that can be enjoyed by any audience. Between his raw natural talent and his charismatic personality, I know that Mikey Wax is going places in the music industry.