How Music Affects Teens | Teen Ink

How Music Affects Teens

By Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens

Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.

There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.

Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.

People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.

I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.

bellaswan said...
on Apr. 6 2016 at 9:16 am
bellaswan,
I agree with this article , we would listen to music with the kind of music that we like and we usually prefer to talk about the music with people who also like the same music with us . by listening to music we can also be more relaxed and easy in doing something.

on Mar. 15 2016 at 10:57 am
BGIRL4LIFE BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

"I WAS BORN TO MAKE MISTAKES, BUT NOT FAKE PERFECTION"-DRIZZY DRAKE

I personally agree with this article because I need music when I'm doing my school work because I can't focus without my music banging in my ears. P.S. I love this article:)

Mekizigreen said...
on Mar. 11 2016 at 2:06 pm
Mekizigreen,
What is it?

Vane said...
on Mar. 11 2016 at 1:31 pm
I agree with this article, I personally thing that many people have friends because they like the same kind of music. I have personally made friends because we start to talk about music and we like the same. However, I think that if you listen rap or another kind of music, you don't have to be like everyone else that listen it, it doesn't mean nothing, just that you feel some connection with the singer or band.

Aunt Holly said...
on Mar. 10 2016 at 9:46 pm
Lily, I'm not surprised at all that you have written such a well said piece about your English teacher because you were an avid reader early. I'm so glad to hear your interest in writing has caught fire. Being able to accurately express your ideas is essential for anything you might do in your life, so ... "You GO girl!" Keep at it, you'll be glad you did.

espie said...
on Mar. 2 2016 at 10:24 am
If There is love, peace makes a difference

Kayla877 said...
on Feb. 6 2016 at 6:46 pm
Kayla877,
I feel the same way lol music takes me a long way

supergirlit said...
on Jan. 29 2016 at 3:52 pm
This is true but as you get older you are going to end up saying words like that

_ambyK SILVER said...
on Dec. 14 2015 at 2:33 pm
_ambyK SILVER, Paris, Tennessee

"I'm not following anyone else's tracks, I'm making my own."
-Picabo Street

This is so true! I'm obsessed with bands (Fall out boy, My chemical romance, sleeping with sirens, etc.) and I love how the lyrics just speak to you in a way nothing else can. great job, keep writing! :)

on Dec. 14 2015 at 8:41 am
Great job! U should be a journalist when u grow up. My name is Smarna. Even though I can't believe u don't love Mexican food, I respect it. ; )

on Dec. 3 2015 at 6:08 pm
runfreesuffer BRONZE, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"Wrists are for bracelets, not cutting." - Kellin Quinn

music will always be my first love

iloveu15 said...
on Nov. 29 2015 at 3:38 pm
iloveu15,
music is my life I don't know what I would do with out it............

haha_no said...
on Nov. 18 2015 at 8:38 am
haha_no,
music is definitly my life lol. memory is a huge thing with that as well

on Oct. 25 2015 at 10:05 am
BabySnickers15 SILVER, Columbus, Ohio

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" ~Michael Jordan~
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" ~Franklin Delano Roosevelt~

I am totally affected by music.

on Jul. 5 2015 at 6:05 pm
I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am. - This essay lacks life. The paragraph above is the only honest paragraph and it is overly simplistic. Show don't tell and share your inner self with the reader so that you are a unique individual. Too many generalities that could apply to everyone. Lots of positive votes, but colleges will find this very dull.

spidrenink said...
on May. 31 2015 at 10:01 pm
spidrenink, Creston, California
guys... Miley Cyrus is not a country singer nor does she claim to be. And just because you don't appreciate other's taste in music does not make it "dumb".

spidrenink said...
on May. 31 2015 at 9:58 pm
spidrenink, Creston, California
This is very true. The rap genre is very diverse in its subject matter. yes, there are the stereotypical rappers(Eminem), but there are a lot of other genre-bending rappers with different focuses

on May. 30 2015 at 12:50 am
celticstudygirl PLATINUM, Vermilion, Other
I love music a whole lot! I listen to a wide variety like Classical, Celtic, German Volksmusik, modern pop music, older pop music, classic rock, Elvis, Beatles, etc. I liked classical as a little kid in elementary school, Celtic in middle school, and German music in high school.

on May. 21 2015 at 6:34 pm
What is the last name of the writer?

Anna2274 GOLD said...
on May. 15 2015 at 3:21 pm
Anna2274 GOLD, Effingham, Illinois

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember; you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." -Harriet Tubman.

@ShayBae I don't necessarily think that they automatically assume they're in that catergory. Maybe they just like that kind of music, or the way they relate to the lyrics.