Thought Contagion by Muse | Teen Ink

Thought Contagion by Muse

April 23, 2019
By enjoy SILVER, Tirana, Other
enjoy SILVER, Tirana, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Thought Contagion is a single, by M.U.S.E, released on 15th February 2018. The song explores different ideas that suggest that thoughts and beliefs are contagious and spread like a virus, which is really relevant in today’s online society where everyone can believe everything people say. However, the idea behind the song is not new and it has been discussed by philosophy for nearly two centuries. The rich, lilting and melodic sound of the Thought Contagion is really pleasant and enjoyable to listen to, but when you listen carefully you begin to notice the deep, meaningful lyrics that is hidden behind the mesmerizing sound and it also topped the UK Rock & Metal Single Chart. This song will not only charm the public but it will carry a really strong theory behind its modest lyrics.

Most of their songs stand out to the listeners as showing the alternative rock of the band's music style, just as this one does. Thought Contagion, just from reading the title, the listener is able to indicate the spreading of harmful thought or idea by a close contact and it suggests that most of the people nowadays are reasoning with the thought of someone else that implanted it in their minds. In a really blended and mixed way, the words itself (thought contagion) are mentioned a few times to emphasise the title and the idea more and more. Moreover, repetition is also used in the lines  “You've been bitten by a true believer” that compares and suggests that the same way a bite can physically infect, a thought could do the same and it might drag you to their, the other person’s, “false beliefs” as the song states.

The song itself shows the stages of the “infection”, meaning that the pureness of a person's mind will soon be converted into following a certain belief. The first lines describe the early stages where the thought first starts to come through, as something fascinating and beautiful and it is where you start to fall for the false faith. Midway, the song explains that as deep as your mind goes in trusting the other person and what he believes, you’ll get tangled into it too, and will not be able to get out of it anymore. Towards the end, the band explains that now that there is no way out of what you are now part of, you might as well embrace it, and let it be part of you. “Brace for the final solution” are the last words of the song that encourage the last phase where you now are the slave of that image and perception ("Thought Contagion Analysis : Muse").

In conclusion I think that the song Thought Contagion by M.U.S.E was one of the best songs that they recently released even though some people think otherwise. “Slipping into the faux-anthemic style of late Fall Out Boy, Thought Contagion is irresistibly catchy, but undeniably forced” (Leigh-Lancaster), are some of the critical views of this song. However I would not consider a song not good enough just from its music but also what it says. As most of their songs do, this song talks about one of the most discussed and problematic topics in today’s society and brings it  in a form of entertainment and amusement as well. As a fan of alternative rock and M.U.S.E, I really liked this song because it had a balance of musical arrangements and dynamics and I would recommend it to anyone that would be interested in studying music, lyrics or simply everyone that likes music.

Work Cited

“Thought Contagion Analysis : Muse". Reddit.Com, 2019. Accessed 27 Mar 2019.

Leigh-Lancaster, Katie. "Single Review: Muse - Thought Contagion | Redbrick".     Redbrick, 2019.Accessed 27 Mar 2019.

"Thought Contagion (Song) – Musewiki: Supermassive Wiki For The Band Muse". Musewiki.Org, 2019. Accessed 27 Mar 2019.