Most Recent Movie Reviews

Here are the most recent movie reviews:

Swimming Pool This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
François Ozon’s (Swimming Pool) latest exploration of human sexuality blatantly manipulates the randy male audience member into becoming the knowing participant in a sly game of bait-and-switch, with the film’s premise serving as a flare to... (more »)
Jaws 2 This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
The original Jaws (1975) broke box office records. To this day, it stands as the seventh highest-grossing movie of all time when adjusted for inflation. As we all know, a ridiculously successful film can only mean one thing – a sequel.... (more »)
Mood Indigo This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
More than anything else, Michel Gondry’s (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) long delayed French film Mood Indigo captures the sensation of when an ordinary dream transitions into a nightmare. Beginning as a mind-bogglingly surreal romantic... (more »)
Filth This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Like a ballistic knife straight to the heart, Jon S. Baird’s (Cass) adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s stream-of-conscious novel is a visceral cinematic sucker punch engineered to provide detailed character study through the most energetically... (more »)
Snowpiercer This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
One of the most exciting aspects of Korean director Joon-ho Bong’s (The Host) long awaited sci-fi blockbuster Snowpiercer is that it exists. An experimental cross between post-apocalyptic dystopian science fiction, disturbing psychological... (more »)
2 comments
Snowpiercer This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
By , LHP, FL
The issue with human nature is that given the chance we will create conflict amongst ourselves. Even in as vast a world as we live, disagreements can start between people on the opposite ends of the earth. Films, books, and games have shown us... (more »)
Paperman This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
A black-and-white short film with no dialogue, John Kahr’s “Paperman” reminds us that seven minutes is enough to tell an articulate story of love and possibility. Inspired by the split-second connections between strangers, it follows the... (more »)
8 comments
Chalet Girl This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
This summer I decided I would watch all those movies based on classics. After watching Northanger Abbey (2007) , I was greatly impressed by the performance of Felicity Jones, so I looked up a list of the films that she had done. I chose Chalet... (more »)
Girl Rising
Every morning, when girls in developing countries wake up, they are subjected to problems and issues that limit their potential and freedom. These issues differ from country to country, but the roots are the same: inequality, and society’s... (more »)
The Fault in Our Stars
I, like so many others, read and thoroughly enjoyed the book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Yet, unlike the multitudes of teenage girls, I didn’t think the movie adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars was that great. Sure, Elaine Woodley... (more »)
Finding Vivian Maier
By , New York, NY
It was a real-life detective mystery for John Maloof when, in 2007, he bought a box of undeveloped photographic negatives at a storage auction for about 400 dollars. He was searching for vintage photographs for his history book on a Chicago... (more »)
The Place Beyond the Pines
THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES If there’s one film I’ve seen this year that I would gladly watch on loop for the rest of my life it has got to be The Place Beyond the Pines. Admittedly this movie is not a famous as one might hope, in the U.K in... (more »)
The Eagle
What is the significance of a symbol? In relation to people, a symbol usually represents honor and elicits pride. For paradigm, the American flag represents freedom and new opportunities, and ultimately sparks patriotism within American citizens.... (more »)
The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars Movie From a bleak landscape of sparkly vampires, melodramatic witches, and inexplicably corporeal ghosts emerged a contrasting best-seller. For those who haven’t read John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars (in other... (more »)
The Godfather Review
It is time to look back at one of the most influential films of all time, and one that is often regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time by the American Film Institute. Winner of 3 Academy Awards including Best Picture, it’s time to... (more »)
Isle of the Dead
"Isle of the Dead," one of director Martin Scorsese's top horror flick recommendations, is a classic within the genre. Directed by the Oscar-nominated Mark Robson, it chronicles an unfortunate group who are forced to remain on a... (more »)