Pitch Perfect | Teen Ink

Pitch Perfect

By CV_99 BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
CV_99 BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire

“Pitch Perfect” is an original movie that blew the minds of critics, audiences, and the world. Directed by Kay Cannon, this comedy has thrived throughout the course of four years, and is still spoken about on a regular basis.
The movie regards college students who all think acapella is more popular than football or schoolwork. Two opposing teams, the Treblemakers and the Barden Bellas, battle it out to win nationals and be the best in the school. One problem: 10 of the 12 Bellas graduated. Aubrey (Anna Camp) and Chloe (Brittany Snow) have to find 8 hot girls that can sing, dance, and match pitch. They find half of that during auditions. The 8 girls that join are talented singers, but are not bikini ready. They also have very diverse personalities that make it hard to work together. Beca (Anna Kendrick), the main character, steps up to the plate and tries to turn the girls’ outcast personalities into a unique and talented team, giving them a good chance at winning nationals.

The cast that Cannon chose definitely gave the movie it’s flare. The new group of acapella girls is very diverse. Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) calls herself fat so thin girls don’t do it behind her back. Lilly (Hana Mae Lee) speaks so quietly but has random things to say, such as, “I ate my twin in the womb,” or, “I set fires to feel joy.” Ben Platt plays Benji, the awkward magician who just wants to sing acapella. He puts the audience in awe when he finally gets to sing on stage with his dream group. These side characters emphasize stereotypes and add so much more to the story.

The visuals are very captivating and entertaining. In the audition scene, the producers took individual parts of the song, sang by different people, and mixed them together to create one well crafted piece. This was visually stimulating, as it was upbeat and unique.

Obviously the music plays a huge role in this film. Popular songs in this film include: “Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson and “Titanium” by David Guetta. These songs are mashed together and sung in acapella.
This film is rated PG-13 due to its use of language and other references. There are some points in the movie that are unnecessary and distracting from the theme, but for the most part, it stays on track and provides a great storyline.

“Pitch Perfect” is compelling, creative, and hysterical, with romance, drama, and music placed in between. It is one of the few movies that you can watch over and over again, and never get sick of.