Paper Towns | Teen Ink

Paper Towns

October 18, 2015
By Katie.McG BRONZE, Lyme Regis, Other
Katie.McG BRONZE, Lyme Regis, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"it takes twice as long to put yourself back together than it does to fall apart" ~Finnick Odair


Whilst parts of 'Paper Towns' were horrifically unnacurate to the book I loved so much, the film was an emotional rollercoater. I don't know if i'd call this a problem but in the film adaptation, I personally found the back stories, for example Lacey and Ben's romance, more interesting than Q finding Margo. I was pleased with the comedic value as I often find a lot of humour is missing when a book is turned into a movie like in John Green's other book: 'The Fault In Our Stars' (TFIOS). In Paper Towns they kept the funny prank scenes as they were in the book but they also added in some humorous moments; In the cinema my friend and I were unexpectedly in hysterics when the boys started singing the Pokemon theme tune. Irony was, however a key aspect of the book that I don't think the film effectively used and I was disapointed with Radar's visual representation. The story order got a bit jumbled up too, but to me that was ok. I was pleasently surprised with the casting choice of Ansel Elgort for the cashier on the motorway stop because it helped connect to the John Green fans who loved TFIOS. By the end of the film I was a bit bored with the repetitiveness and I am not feeling any desire to rewatch this film any time soon which is a harsh contrast to the way I avidly read and reread John Green's books.


The author's comments:

This is possibly more of a book-film comparison than a film review and I have kept it fairly brief. enjoy!