The Breakfast Club | Teen Ink

The Breakfast Club

By ThatGirlJordan BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
ThatGirlJordan BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

The Breakfast club is a comedy/drama from 1985. About five teenagers from different social circles, that have to attend 8 hour Saturday detention with their assistant principle Mr.Vernon.

Claire (Molly Ringwald) is a rich popular girl, Andrew (Emelio Estevez) the popular wrestler, Brian (Anthony Michael Hall) the smart nerd, John (Judd Nelson) the criminal pot head and Allison ( Ally Sheedy) the odd quite girl.

At first they believe in the stereo types of their different circles but slowly realized that none of them are really that different at all. They unite in some hilarious cat and mouse games against Mr.Vernon. Creating a funny but serious look into life as a teen. The struggle to be understood. Peer pressure and parent expectations are two major issues addressed.

The cast worked extremely well together. Later they became members of the "Brat pack",  making more 80s films together. This film was written and directed by John Hughs. He had worked with Ringwald and Hall before in Sixteen Candles.

This film did not get any nominations or awards but, is included on many count downs of top 80's films and top teen films.

I thought this film captured what it was like to be a teen in the 80's and can relate to it today. It was a comedy with a serious side that I enjoyed, I believe any teenager would relate to the characters . I would recommend this film and give it 3 out of 4 stars.

I hope people will get inspired to go watch the Breakfast club and other great 80's films.