Safe Haven | Teen Ink

Safe Haven MAG

By Jenna Richeson BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Jenna Richeson BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

My favorite type of movie is romance, and “Safe Haven” is one of the best I have seen in theaters in years. If you are looking for a charming romance with an exciting surprise at the end, then you will fall in love with this movie.

Julianne Hough plays Erin, whose abusive husband also happens to be a police officer. One night she fights back, injuring him with a knife. Erin then flees to Southport, North Carolina, where she meets Alex (Josh Duhamel), his kids, Lexi and Josh, and her new neighbor, Jo. Erin changes her name to Katie and alters her appearance to lessen the chance of her husband finding her. “Katie” and Alex fall in love. Lexi adores her, but Josh is old enough to remember his mom – who died of cancer – and he’s more hesitant.

Although this is one of her first movies, Hough is very believable in her role as a young woman who is falling in love yet has previously been hurt. Duhamel does a good job of representing a dad who wants new love and fun but is still heartbroken about his dead wife. My absolute favorite performance was Mimi Kirkland as Lexi; she is the most adorable little girl.

The reason I loved “Safe Haven” so much is because of the last few minutes; there’s a big twist at the end, and that’s what made this movie so spectacular. I also think that “Safe Haven” displays real-life, current issues. The character Erin, as a young woman who overcomes spousal abuse and is strong in sticking up for herself, shows that girls can and do have better futures waiting for them with people who want to treat them right. I highly recommend this heartwarming story to other lovers of cute and witty romance movies.