Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
beautifully written article, but i have to disagree on all of your opinions.  i personally found the entire thing a HUGE disappointment. 

Macx14 said...
I think you're a great writer and you state your opinions concisely and with good back-up reasons. Personally, the movie was a little disappointing for me after reading the books, which I prefer. I will say that they got a great location for shooting and the appearances of the characters down. Nice article!

WritingLoverForever said...
Twilight is truly a captivating story. The Twilight saga is the greatest book/movie series since Harry Potter, in my opinion anyway. I have seen all the Twilight movies, but only read the first book. And just as you mentioned in the review, it is impossible to label the book or movie as the better version of the two. Awesome job on this review.

Mardelzor replied...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 11:08 am

I have one thing to say...read the rest of the books. Especially Breaking Dawn. Then You'll see which one was better. :)

WritingLoverForever replied...
Trust me, I'm gonna read the rest of the books. I just have to find time to do it. I'll probably borrow a copy from my friend who's obsessed with twilight.

Mardelzor replied...
haha, awesome! have fun with that! :)

hello.beautiful said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 6:31 am
Personally, I prefer the books. But it's not the same if you see the movie, then read the books. Read them first, they're so good!

TuffGurl said...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:28 am
This is a good review! I just hate the cast, except for Peter Facinelli because he is exactly what I thought Carlisle should be! But I especially hate Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson in this... but I think I would hate any actor in this because no one can live up to the books :) The Twilight Saga are my comfort books, and whenever I go on vacation these are the first four books I pack -- well, three, because I usually start Twilight the night before :)

XxEmo_VampxX replied...
Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:45 am
I agree w/ u TuffGurl,,,,PFach(Carlisle) is gorgeous and HAWT, Peter portrayed Carlisle's character perfectly, they did make him a little too pale in the hospital scene but he is till stunningly sexy,and his accent for all of the movies makes me melt,,,lol i'm a sucker for English accents. I reckon SM did a fantastic job, i mean if u think bout all the effort she/directors/crew has put into the Twilight movies, it does add up. and it's a tale about forbidden love and it shows the hum... (more »)

PAPAgotgroove said...
The books are amazing and really capture the reader's inner fantasy. Though the books aren't totally different from the movies, I see why the movie isn't as good. The movie is something you get sucked into at first, but then you realize what a bad movie it really was. I love the plot and storyline. Not that it gets old, it's just bad. Somehow you can still fall in love with the movie. And needless to say, I am a twihard. Haha. Well, great review. You didn't insult the movie but at the same time ... (more »)

Mardelzor replied...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 11:13 am
I agree with you. The movies aren't completely different...except for the first one which killed it in my opinion. But when I first went to see Twilight, I thought it was amazing and went back the next day to see it again with my cousin, then as soon as it came out we ran to the store, bought it, and came home to watch it. Yet...as we watched it at home and discussed some more, we began to see what they had left out, what they could have done better, the stupid bits they added to it, and how the... (more »)

Alaintia said...
I thought the whole movie was extremely cheesy but i do think that themovies are improving though they wont live up to the books in a million years. No offense to the cast or anything, I just think that the books are always better than the movies.   

Erin A. replied...
exactly what i've been trying to write out for the last fifteen minutes. haha 

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:25 am
Since this is an opinion, i must give you props for excpressing your in a beautifully written piece. In my eyes, the books are so much better. but good job on expressing yourself!

Ninja_Writer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This movie was terrible. The acting was atrocious and no matter how "adorable" the leading man is that doesn't make up for a terrible movie. The effects were terrible too. I'm sorry, your review is well written, but I have to disagree with you.

marsbareater12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 12:32 am
I agree. I am a twi-hard, but they can't act. I aslo don't like Steph Meyers writing. The fanfic people were the ones who brought the charaters to life.

Anima A. said...
SERIOUSLY BOTH THE MOVIE AND  BOOK WERE HORRIBLE AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING, PERSONALLY WHEN I LEFT THE THEATRES I LAUGHED SO HARD THAT MY EYES WERE LIKE THE SURFACE OF A TOMATO AND THE SUNLIGHT HURT.

Concerned Citizen said...
May 11, 2010 at 10:05 am
^ This. Its not cliche to have a vampire sleep in a coffin or die when sunlight hits it. That's just how vampires have been written about ever since the stories came to the western world. Its history, not cliche. Cliche, is having a dumb female lead falling in love with a psychotic, self hating, rebel. See Rebel with out a Cause. Or really any "badboy" movie from the 1950's and 60's.

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I hated the movie and all the books.

Mimi8 replied...

Me too, I hated the books and the movies were laughable.