Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

hernandenj1 said...
i love this review i have to one for a movie in my english class and we have to pick a teen magazine that would be our audience and im going with teen ink because yall do really great reviews. You invite us in the story and leave us wanting more and wanting to watch it.

EmilyClark This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 11:09 am
I liked your review and I thought you summed it up very well. I think that the movies are better than the books though. 

SierraLe13 said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 9:58 am
I agree with Fike. The books really are not that good. I like the movies way better because you can actually see the action.

Fike said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 8:27 am
i like the movies but the books are terrible and are hard for me 2 read.

Xela13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I have to say that this was a very good review. But I cannot agree with you in saying that it can appeal to everyone. Quite frankly, many people, even people who have commented on this review, do not like the Twilight series (of movies or books). Next time, make sure you don't say what can't ever be true - don't make a hard generalization and say that "EVERYONE" or "NOBODY" likes it because there's bound to be someone who does and doesn't!

KrystalT replied...
You make a valid point. I have to agree with you on this.

lollipopcandy566 said...
Wow.. There are alot of great authors on Teen Ink but I really like this review Of Twilight the best..YOu have really great details about the movie and as a writer myself would like to follow in your footsteps..

MattsGurl said...
I really dont know what to say about it...

Olivea said...
I have to disgree with you. While I may not be a big fan of the books now, what first pulled me in was the realness of the characters and the classic dynamics of a teen romance novel. Even though I am no longer blinded to the lower quality aspects of the books (I blame sparkly Edward) I can still see the appeal. This is not the case with the movie.  I will not list all the issues, but the main thing is the acting. Every line is filled with so much angst and just about every scene is overact... (more »)

Kira said...
I read the Twilight series before it became famous due to the movie franchise. I was a REAL fan. When I started reading it, New Moon was still new. That was in 2006. And I remained a loyal fan to the series, even when the first movie came out and the whole thing exploded. But let me tell you something, from an original fan's point of view. The Twilight movies suck. The actors--especially Kristen Stewart-- did not fit the part at all, and from what parts of the movie I have seen--I've never been ... (more »)

Mardelzor said...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 11:05 am
I think this review was very well written, descriptive, and flowed nicely. However, I must disagree on the praise of the movie and that neither the books nor the movie were better than the other. My friends and I fell in love with Bella and Edward back in 8th grade, but the movie was a big dissapointment. We thought Stephanie Meyers was an amazing author, but personally I wish she'd done the movie as well. In the movie, they did a rather poor job of showing emotions, I mean, the only thin... (more »)

KyleS. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've seen Twilight (unfortunately) and I've read the book. I could tell from the beginning of this article that it is well-written, and some would say that it is "descriptive," but I would say that it is more "deceptive." Apart from the story itself, the movie was horrible, almost a joke, actually. You are right about one thing, however; people can lose themselves in this film, but what they're losing is their minds.
As for the story itself (or at least the way it's ... (more »)

luckynumber_13 replied...
"Leaf from the Tree of Tales"...did you come up with that yourself? Or are you quoting someone? Either way, that's what i call great symbolism. :D

Lilihua This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Highly descriptive! Thanks.

GummiBear replied...
I hate Twilight mostly because Bella has absolutely NO independence without Edward and Edward is a STALKER!! Who watches people in their sleep? That's so creepy. And the movie was even worse. The make-up and costumes aren't even the half of it. Also, Robert Pattison isn't all that good looking.

Lilihua This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I don't like Twilight myself, but this review told me plenty about the movie, whether I like the stories or not. But I actually quite agree with you. I don't like Twilight.

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Totaly agree. It only took the first movie for every one to realize T.L. is way better looking than R.P, and other than that K. S. is a really bad actor. T.L. was okay, but the whole movie sucked. I didn't even know they were breaking the 4th movie into two parts. So unoriginal. Watch Harry Potter instead. (and i won't even get started on how much Harry Potter is better than the Twillight books)

bluecottoncandy said...
I LOVE you books, i have read almost all of them. right now i am in the middle of  the book breaking dawn! YOU ROCK

AEAluvsanimals said...

Ever see panic room? It stars Jodie Foster and...you guessed it, Kristen Stewart. Her character was a little dry, but still better acting than twilingt. Ask anyone over their teens who has a boyfreind or husband, or any good writing teacher and theyll tell ya. Try harry potter for something not petty, superfcial, and corny.

http://capybaraunicorni.wordpress.com/

whispersofthenight said...
Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:17 am
Very well-written review, but I have to disagree with you. The books were better than the movie, and even the books (in my opinion) weren't that great.