Twilight MAG

By Leah Stapleton, Peoria, AZ

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

on Sep. 13 2011 at 1:34 pm
AyeshaMuzaffar BRONZE, Lahore, Other
I can't agree more ninja. 

CARMEL123 said...
on Sep. 13 2011 at 9:19 am
I LOVE TWILIGHT

jstreet said...
on Sep. 4 2011 at 9:45 pm
this is very well written but it doesnt have anything to do with jacob and the love triangle between them

on Aug. 20 2011 at 8:03 pm
luckynumber_13, Also Omitting This, Texas

"If you were born without wings, do not prevent them from growing." --Coco Chanel

"emotional ranga of a spoon." hilarious and so accuraye XD

on Jul. 31 2011 at 7:51 pm
tarynpie BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
(to start off) This review was very well written! When I read the books I got really into them although I will admit I later realized, (after I was over the emotional content of the story), that the author wasn't nearly as creative compared with others I have read.  I will be honest and say that I liked the movies though I think it didn't give the real idea of the book justice. I also agree when people say the concept of the story wasn't original and the reason I think it was so popular is because it was the first vampire, supernatural story line the came out and gained so many fans so fast. In the first book Bella reads Romeo and Juliet and that is a huge give away of the idea of this "forbidden love".  Essentially, you can guess that Bella and Edward won't be together unless they are both "dead". (remind anyone of Romeo and Juliet?!?!?!) So in the end, it was just a more modern day version of the old Shakespeare play.  Lastly is the acting. I'm not a huge fan of either Kristen or Robert but how well can you act when you are given to characters with almost unhuman characteristics? (besides the love). I used to be a fan of the Twilight Saga but I don't think it quite deserved all the hype and praise it got, and in the end I got sick of the obsessions with this story while other great novels and movies are ignored.

Nai N. N. said...
on Jul. 31 2011 at 6:52 pm

I felt that both the novel and movie was okay. The myths that were used along with the lives of the Cullens gave a fresh perspective on the hypothedical way of life for a vampire. 

But, lets be honest. In the novel Bella was spineless, and in the movie I just wanted to slap her. Stewart was stuttering half the time, giving her scenes an extra awkward edge.

Edward's character was portrayed in an interesting way-- I do not think Pattinson did a poor job, nor an excellent one. Some scenes with him were better then others, but none as drasticly horrible as Stewart's.

I think the other characters (Alice especially) made up for the leads' poor acting. 

All in all, I would comment the movie more then the book. Although the combined acting lacked memorability, the way the movie was shot gave it the . . . . PAZAZ that made it worth seeing.

on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:59 pm
Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois

"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

Yay! For HP fans!!! :) 

on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:47 pm
NinjaHummingbird, Manalapan, New Jersey

If we all fail, we fail together. XD

I am a  Harry Potter fan, too. :)

on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:43 pm
NinjaHummingbird, Manalapan, New Jersey

If we all fail, we fail together. XD

This is written very well, but I have to say that I thought the Twilight movies and books are absolutely terrible. Kristen Stewart had the emotional range of a spoon and Robert Pattinson just can't act. I think the plot of all of the books and movies are ridiculous in general.

on Jul. 28 2011 at 10:29 pm
Coyotalia BRONZE, North Port, Florida

"What lies behind us and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"- Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I commend both your style of writing and your opinion. I, too, adored the movie and believe that the actors/actresses did very well in portraying Stephenie Meyer's characters.

on Jul. 25 2011 at 1:17 pm

I'm going to be blunt--are you out of your mind???!!!

how on earth do you watch Twilight and come away from the experience thinking it's a good movie??? if i were Stephenie, i would personally be insulted and ashamed that the book i wrote was made into something so painful to watch! K.S. had a grand total of maybe 1.5 facial expressions, and R.P. just seemed bored and tense the whole time. Most people here have the opinion that your review is very well written, and i have to agree. but i cant help but feel a bias for the books from you when i read this.

on Jul. 25 2011 at 1:10 pm

"Leaf from the Tree of Tales"...did you come up with that yourself? Or are you quoting someone? Either way, that's what i call great symbolism. :D

TheJust ELITE said...
on Jul. 22 2011 at 8:20 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

The Stephanie Meyer who created Teen Ink is not the same who wrote Twilight. Teen Ink's SM has said so.

on Jul. 22 2011 at 8:16 pm
Arco_Sine BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
Her aid in creating this site is completely irrelevant in terms of her writing. It's only people pleasing goat fodder.

AgentMandark said...
on Jul. 13 2011 at 12:51 am
AgentMandark, Wantagh, New York

"People are always blaming circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get ahead in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them."

Hun, your writing is beautiful and sounds almost natural; it just...flows, you know? However...as amazing as your writing is, you're using it for the wrong reasons.

Kristen Stewart bringing Bella to life? Personally, I thought KS was incapable of emotion. And RobPat looked constipated and angsty the entire time.

The movie wasn't good. At all. Even when I was hopelessly obsessed with Twilight, I thought the movie was terrible.

So, good writing. Inaccurate review.

jamikim BRONZE said...
on Jun. 17 2011 at 7:46 pm
jamikim BRONZE, Sterling, Illinois

the only thing holding yourself back is you.

i like the books a lot better than the movies. the movies suck. :(

on Jun. 8 2011 at 8:55 pm
rubyrainstorm SILVER, Closter, New Jersey

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
-Buddha.

AGREEEEEEEEEEEED!

on Apr. 12 2011 at 7:07 pm
FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona

"Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."

this is a well written review with details to support your oppion. still i have to agree with many of the people on here, the movie wasnt very good. the acting was terrible. Even without the corny lines and overly dramatic scences it still wouldnt be very good. the movie lacked feeling that a love story should have. the books, still not the best, were better. well written review though.

Safeleo SILVER said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 12:28 am
Safeleo SILVER, Iwakuni, Other

"Looking up into the night sky is like looking into infinity - the distance is incomprehensible and therefore meaningless."
-Douglas Adams

Isn't that the whole point of teenink? to state you opinion without being censored for saying Twilight sucks?

Safeleo SILVER said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 12:25 am
Safeleo SILVER, Iwakuni, Other

-Douglas Adams

Oh, and your right. edward is a pedo...

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!