Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

Eliza019 said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 10:17 pm:
So you like Twilight then....akward

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm:
@blissless sorry i don't agree. i think kristen stewart plays bella phenomally well.

she-is-a-strange-duck replied...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 10:30 am :
I can't think fo anyone else to play bella besides Kristen Stewart- but I liked bella in the book better than the movies. She was way more honest in the movies and not as funny.

LightningForMyAllergies said...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm:

Your review is absolutely catchy! However, I'm with "Blissless"...no electricity with Kristen Stewart's acting skills. Both the movie and the book remind me of a happily twisted Tuck Everlasting meets today's society and views on young love.

Blissless said...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm:
"She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent" .... Really? Kristen Stewart fails. She looked dead through that whole movie, and I didn't feel any electricity at all. She gave me a constant vibe: 'I hate my life'

ExpRESsY0uRselF replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:55 pm :
AGREEEEEEEEEEEED!

Sharelle H. said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm:
Love your reveiw, it was more than accurate. Somewhat like the book. Hate the movie.

Occultkitty said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 7:58 am:

Your review on this film is great, though I disagree with the statement "this isn't a typical vampire tale";recently many authors have started to create more caring and humane vampires.  

In my opinion the book was better than the film, but I think this about most films because everyone sees the characters in a story differently. 

I love the choice of music for the film soundtrack, it fits well with the story. 

p.s People who are slagging Twil... (more »)

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 6:53 am :
Well, when the book came out it wasn't typical, but now... I personally would rather stick with Dracula.

Arco_Sine replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:16 pm :
Her aid in creating this site is completely irrelevant in terms of her writing. It's only people pleasing goat fodder.

Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:20 pm :
The Stephanie Meyer who created Teen Ink is not the same who wrote Twilight. Teen Ink's SM has said so.

peterzthman said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 9:09 am:
There is no point of making a love story about a stupid vampire and his short goth girlfriend

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I have to say that I think the twilight movies are really bad.  Very unoriginal.  I give some credit to the books but they don't deserve the amount of recognition they recieve.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 8:33 pm :
woah that's really cool though you have my name i just tought I'd let you know Leah S hahaha that's cool

Gigantron said...

I wholeheartedly disagree with this review. I have a review of Twilight that is waiting to be published. Perhaps then you can truly see what Twilight isn't that great of a novel...or movie. 

=|

Mar. 24, 2011 at 6:55 am :
Do you mean it's waiting to be posted? Because no one knows when they will be published...

awesome13 said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:55 am:
i like this movie but i think they copied things from harry potter and sorry to say............ harry potter all the way

Harrypotter202abc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm :

I am a total Harry Potter fan 2.

If I hear one more person scream Robert Pattison's name I will rip my hair out! (I didn't like him as Cedric Diggory either)

NinjaHummingbird replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:47 pm :
I am a  Harry Potter fan, too. :)

fire_ice4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:59 pm :
Yay! For HP fans!!! :)