Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

beckym. said...
Jan. 17, 2009 at 1:50 am:
i don't like your review of the movie. if you ever read the book you wouldn't say that. the movie did not show what i expected after reading the book

AngelaK779 said...
Jan. 14, 2009 at 12:07 am:
The book was excellent the movie was good I glad they have a new director to make the movie even better

alexxiiisssx said...
Feb. 25, 2009 at 5:16 pm:
i love twilight, it was amazing. and the books were even better. i cant wait for midnight sun (if s. meyer finishes it) and new mooon to come outtt :D

CABhahahaHPhahaTL said...
Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:28 am:
Wow. you really got it right, I can completely understand how the movie should not be compaired to the book it is its own entety and should stay so. Thanks for summing it up for the future fans who read this!!!!!!!

TwilightEmo09 said...
Feb. 25, 2009 at 7:01 pm:
I think that the movie was similar and was really good, i also think that they picked good charcters and they wouldn't have picked them if they didn't think that they were good for the part. I think that they mmad eht etwilight fans proud at least to me, but I am only one person so you can disagree with me if you want but I think that the movie was good, i don't see what the big problem with robert is, i think he is cute.

-Beedle-the-bard- said...
Dec. 5, 2008 at 7:39 am:
wowee i really like the review uve described the whole thing so perfectly. congratz on winning! =D

Teen Ink admin said...
Congratulations on winning the contest!

questioner replied...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm :
what did she win?????