Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

Ryan M. said...
May 30, 2009 at 1:50 am:
this is a beautiful and expertly written review but if youve read this book the movie just SUCKS. most of the actors were amature and you didnt feel the emotions you expected. but tremendous job ayway

Kit-Kat said...
May 29, 2009 at 6:53 pm:
I myself am not a Twilight fan... I don't like Stephanie's writing style. But I do appreciate some aspects of it, and I was dissapointed to find out that this movie warped the book to no end, and barely had anything to do with the book! Ed and Bella had no conection in the movie, more the directors fault than anything. Sorry if I come off too critical!

*Hottie*1324 said...
Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:41 pm:
That was an awesome review!!!! I saw a sneak peek at New Moon and it looks just as good if not even better!!!!! ^-^

eddie S. said...
May 22, 2009 at 5:53 pm:
that edward dude is pale

Clayton C. said...
May 22, 2009 at 5:44 pm:
The movie is wack. It was terriable to sit and watch. I rather watch elmo.

mimi:) said...
May 19, 2009 at 11:58 pm:
well i just have to say that the movie was great and so was the soundtrack. i would have picked a better bella (no offense kristen) but all in all it was a good movie althugh i wish it would haves stuck to the book a bit more that would have made it like 10 times better!!! cant wait for the next one!

LadyJamie888 said...
May 18, 2009 at 6:07 pm:
I remember when I first saw the movie. I was so excited. After I left the movies, I was a bit depressed about how the acting was. I really wished that they had gotten a better actress than Kristen Stewart for Bella. Mabye Alexis Bledel or something. Bella was supposed to be plain, but they could've at least given her more feeling toward Edward, ecspecially with a hot guy like Rob Pattinson. I'm glad there's a new director. Mabye the next one will be better.

Twilightlover#1 said...
May 7, 2009 at 1:13 am:
Twilight is totally awesome. Great article. Good job Twilight fan!

pinkvolleyballgirl said...
May 4, 2009 at 2:13 am:
if u are a twilight fan, check out the poem
TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/102304/Vampire/

edward said...
edward is hot! but not inn the normal way he is (i guess) nice and NOT self centered he loved bella in a way that no one would ever enless they experenced it. i think i have.idk. but the book was alot better than the movie.the movie was missing alot of funny parts that happened. sorry about this but i have to say this" im using his name in a storie im writting". emmitt is i will admit hotter than edward. bye bye tina rox

inspire_me said...
Mmkay..
I'm sorry. I know people are majorly into this movie, But i didn't think that it was the best. I know that they could of made it MUCH better. It didn't even feel like they were trying.. They were missing some parts of the book and it kind of made me mad. Hopefully the next movie will be worth watching.

toast llama said...
the 3rd and 4th books are better but it was good

Haley C.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
congratz :) its really good and describing. Twilight is awesome. lol

truefreakonaleash said...
Apr. 24, 2009 at 1:40 am:
It was a great book series by far and stepahie myer is an amazing author. My only problem was that the movie gave a horrible interpretation of the book. In the book Bella should be weak and fragile and become a big tough chick in the 4th one, however in the movie it looked like she could beat up edward at any given moment. And for all you Edward fans, robert pattinson, is not hot nor does he play a good edward. Many of you may disagree with my opinion but it is my opinion and i am sorry if it is... (more »)

Edward cullen's girl said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 10:57 am:
edward cullen was well played by robert patinson but i am still trying to read the fourth book awesome i can't wait thanks S. Meyer

Theresa S. said...
I loved the books and the movie, and I sooooo can't wait to see New moon this November it's gonna be AWESOME!!!!! and I REALLY REALLY hope S. Meyer finishes Midnight sun I would love to find who leaked it so I could kick they'er butt......If Jane were real I'd give him/her to Jane......

Gossamer said...
Movies aren't all about looks, BeckyGoesBam. I didn't think they looked quite right either, but they still portrayed their characters really well. It wouldn't make any sense to spend forever hunting down the spitting image of Edward, like that matters more than using someone who could mould to the role. He also made it more interesting by giving a different interpretation of Edward than you'd expect.

skisnow said...
Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:05 pm:
Excellent review, I love Twilight! TEAM EDWARD!

Spencer said...
Mar. 20, 2009 at 12:58 am:
I read the books and it made for an interesting story. The characters where well though out and the plot was ok. My only problem was that there was no huge battle at the end, they all talked it out. If I had been in charge of the Volturi, I would bring no witnesses and conduct the operation in secret, strengthening the Volturi's reputation.

However, my opinion might be slightly prejudiced. I am a huge Stephen King fan, and his vampires are some of the scariest looking things ev... (more »)

love-you-always said...
Mar. 1, 2009 at 6:24 pm:
i absolutly love this review