Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

trblue said...
Jan. 31, 2010 at 11:14 am:
good book just a bad made movie.
it's to short and thay have a deep love conection in the book. it's not really showen in the movie.

sethsgirl replied...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm :
they fall inlove to fast in the movie

Prosaic-Scriptor said...
By far the best review I've seen on this site. It seems that some teens do know how to write after all. Personally, I loathed the movie/books. But it was a great review!

Selenaaa =] said...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 7:55 am:
i agree dat kristen shudn't ov been bella =]

JargonKid said...
Kristen stuart played the part well, because i think she fits the character but i think it could've been better. i think people critize her acting based on the book only because it is written in first person so the reader is obviously connected to bella because it is as if they themselves are bella.

JargonKid replied...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm :
and i definitely think the book outweighs the movie in so many ways. although the movie makes it come alive visually it misses the emotional part to it. especially new moon movie did not mirror the book. however i can't wait for eclipse to come out. that was by far the best book in the series

agsmiley888 replied...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 9:30 pm :
i think that it also has to do with the director and the way that he/she manages the movie. and the scenes that are put into the movie.

readlikecrazy10 said...
Yeah, I guess I agree that Kristen Stewart did seem to play Bella differently then the real Bella in the books. And Edward was supposed to have a good sense of humor, but it wasn't like that in the movie

JargonKid replied...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm :
i agree. i think edward should've been different, as in politer/chivalrous because he is indeed much older than bella. what was it? born in 1800's or something?

readlikecrazy10 said...
I think that your article was great, but I think that Catherine Hardwicke could have made it a little more accurate. The soundtrack is great, though.
I always pictured Bella and Edward having different personalities than in the movie, but that's just me.
Also, in the books, Edward didn't want Bella to be afraid, although he knew that she should be. But, overall, I think that the movie was sweet and could make someone cry, no matter how many things were different fro... (more »)

Allegria-Starling said...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 7:24 am:
That's a very generous review. I wouldn't say Kristen Stewart's acting is that good- okay, so it's a subjective opinion, but the actors aren't exceptional as you say. I find there are too many 'serious' parts in this movie where the characters talk alot. In the beginning you take it seriously but after a while it simply gets boring. A lot of it could have been cut out or abridged, making this long film a little shorter.
That aside, I think your review is ... (more »)

Mandi C. replied...
Jan. 6, 2010 at 9:01 am :
i thin k robert pattinson did a good job being edward cullen because he is hott just like edward. lol. even though they are the same person. i liked how stephenie meyer wrote twilight and the rest of the series. i read them like 4 times cause i thought they were so well writen.

Dynasty replied...
Jan. 6, 2010 at 9:25 am :
i dont think Kirsten stewart is a good actor but robert pattison is ok

Allegria-Starling replied...
Jan. 7, 2010 at 3:25 am :
Yeah, but well "exceptional" and "ok" are two verrry different things =D

Sheridan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing article, I'm glad there are a few more people in the world who realize what a bunch of complete crap the books and movies are. After seeing New Moon there's no freakin way I'm seeing Eclipse. This made me laugh, nice work.

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 12:20 am :
It made me cry , and not because it was written good, it made me cry to think the state of humankind is so bad people could actually like this crap...

toxic.monkey said...
agree with most of it, except that i think it's a terrible movie :P
AND Kristen Stewart has completely utterly absolutely failed bella swan. bella is meant to be this responsible, quiet, almost funny and very special person- instead we get a stuttering, lost, unexpressionate drip... disappointing.

Sheridan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:56 pm :
YES! Kristen Stewart ruined Bella, although Bella was ruined to begin with. Honestly what happened to girls kicking butt instead of waiting for some stupid vampire to come save them. She was a weak character to begin with and Stewart made her worse.

sasssgirrrl22 replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 3:17 pm :
i kinda disagree but good points. I think Kristen is more used to really serious, risky roles. Twilight in most ways is that, or it's planned to be. I think the actors were great, but ur right. There was something missing. I disagree that Kristen ruined Bella, but I do think she needs to fit more into the character Bella's personality. Her personality is just much different than the character's & maybe shez having a sumwhat hard time.

sasssgirrrl22 replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 3:18 pm :
lol i do agree wit Sheridan bout her just waiting 4 someone 2 save her. I mean really?

toxic.monkey replied...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 9:06 am :
sorry, but aren't good actors the ones who can actually suit themselves to a character they are playing rather than fail creating a strong character?