Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight MAG

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

ftsk... said...
ftsk..., Newport Beach, California
the books are so much better the movies ruined it

xBaByGiRrL22x PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"The goal isn't to live forever, but create something that will."
"If you wanna go, baby let's go; if you wanna rock, I'm ready to roll.''
"No one ever said it'd be easy. They just said it'd be worth it." <3

wow. really descriptive. im a twilight fan myself, and u easily said it all. awesome job!!

ChangedForever, WW, New Jersey

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-Toni Morrison

WOW. i'm not sure if i agree with you, but being a (former) twilight fan myself, i think its refreshing to find a review that does not tear the whole thing to shreds and stomp on the pieces. way to stick with it, girl!

GuadalupeTellez BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

sentir ser mejor es mejor
no creer en el amor
asi como le hago yo[: -PXNDX
&Maybe We Have to Break Everything to Make Something Better of Ourselves. -Fight Club
I believe in human beings, and that all human beings should be respected as such, regardless of their color.
Malcolm X

Okay. First of all I don't think people who didn't read the books but watched the movies should have no say in this. The movies are just horrible compared to the books. The actors are alright but not my favorite. Taylor Lautner is simple gorgeous but i'm not gonna brag about it. I don't get infatuated with actors that I will probably never meet in my life time. The books are awesome and the movies do not portray them properly.

on Mar. 21 2010 at 12:28 am
BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

Star, really Edward is so UGLY and not cute at all adn Jocob on the other hand IS HOTT I WOULD MARRY HIM!

on Mar. 21 2010 at 12:26 am
BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

Thank You Xilaberry!!!!I dont really Know why she plays the Part as Bella and Like she is bland adn the books dont really match the movie

questioner said...
what did she win?????

on Mar. 15 2010 at 7:27 am
mycheriseamour BRONZE, Esmont, Virginia

I think, therefore I am.

I'm sorry, but as someone who dabbles in screenwriting myself, I must say that Twilight is an absolute piece of inartistic, melodramatic, horribly-written piece of junk. The screenwriter should be shot, and so should the author. It's totally cliched...ooh, forbidden romance - I saw that movie in '95! Read the screenplay, and disregard the hot actors, and you will see that the lines suck - "I know what you are," COME ON! What's happening to this world creatively. I'm pretty sure I could fart something out that's better than that. Oh, and the actors aren't really that hot!

BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

ok, i agree with Josiphione_Flick the movie doesnt match the books at all atleast thats what my sister tells me!!! I don't plan on reading these books they sound lame sorry tho!!!! The movies are good but yea....But Bella Gets on my nerves adn so does edward i don't like them.....They make a good couple tho because they are weird and clingy... and i agree shes sounds likE A MAN!

SARA!

I agree with you. Just because someone has a different opinion than you does'nt mean you should tell them their "wrong".

highly--inspired BRONZE, Norman, Oklahoma

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -- Abraham Lincoln

Okay, the books are what people LOVE!! I absolutely adore the books. The movies though, well, let's just say it's as entertaining as George Lopez. Not to sound rude, but Kristen Stweart sounds like a man, and stutters way too much. And she makes the worst expressions. Robert Pattinson is O.K. at acting, but I don't think he fits Edward. The director of the movie obviously didn't read it, because the lines are so boring and Edward is supposed to be nice and funny, but still stiff. Robert just makes him mean. And what's up with the meadow scene!? He is like screaming at her. In the book, he's joking around. They rushed through the movie and let's just say they fell in love too fast. There are a few funny parts, for instance Emmet saying "HER NAME IS BELLA!". But the movie is not good. I don't understand why it stole MTV Movie awards from AMAZING movies! People are in love with the book, and therefore blind themselves with thinking the movie is brilliant. The actors are mediocre and not amazing! Total props to the book, but I could flush the movie down the toilet.

Xilaberry SILVER, Shoreline, Washington
Actually, I am more inclined to agree with BasketballChick. Twilight has no literary value whatsoever. The reason it has become so popular is because it, essentially, is every straight girls dream to have two beautiful guys fall madly in love with her, and Bella is so completely personality deficit (being clumsy does not count as a personality trait) that girls and women everywhere can project themselves onto her.

chicken said...
u r so wrong it is the best movie ever and books ok

chicken dude said...
This is a very good review and the movie was good 2 and the books!!!!!!!

BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

sorry typing to fast spelled and wrong!

BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

I don't see why everyone is inlove with twilight!!!! its so boring i read like 5 chapter of each book and could not read any more its was boing....and the characters on the movie are boring except Taylor he is so HOTTTTT! Edward on the other hand is so weird in my opinion hes not cute.... And Bella wow i really don't like her for the Movie she so Bland adn not exciting!

star said...
on Mar. 9 2010 at 10:00 am
i love this movie its the best ever i will marry edward after i divorice spiderman

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

i agree that its not the best movie ever, but i dont htink it is a harry potter wanna be

i mean it doesnt even have wizards, and the books are two completly different genres, teilight is romance, and harry potter is adventure.

live4vball96 said...
live4vball96, Mckinney, Texas

I'd rather be hated for someone am than be loved for somone I'm not.

I personally didn't like Twilight. I think it's a Harry Potter wanna-be and it left me wondering in a lot of parts. Since i didn't read the books (though i tried, i just got bored) my family was having to explain a lot to me throughout the movie. It was pretty good, but not the best movie I have ever seen.

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

i think that it also has to do with the director and the way that he/she manages the movie. and the scenes that are put into the movie.