Wild At Heart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This movie was very strange. It was hard to follow the twisted story line, probably because the plot wasn't really important. Sailor (Nicholas Cage) and Lula (Laura Dern) are a young couple in love in the South, escaping trouble as they head towards California. Lula's mother has sent two men, both of whom are her lovers, to kill Sailor. Lula's mother is afraid that Sailor saw her murder Lula's father. As Sailor and Lula run out of money, they end up in Texas, where we meet more strange characters who are somehow all related to each other.

"Wild At Heart " is very abstract and takes on a dream-like quality as it progresses, becoming more and more surreal. There are many references to "The Wizard of Oz",at night Lula often pictures her mother as a witch riding by on a broomstick, and at the end the good witch floats down to tell Sailor, "Don't turn your back on love."

There is a lot of black humor, and you aren't supposed to take any of it too seriously, but a lot of it is very violent and very disturbing. The characters are stupid but ingenuously so, and their musings on life are sometimes surprisingly accurate. This is a movie that you either love or hate, and if you look for some deeper meaning, you'll leave feeling like you missed something.n