The Happening This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

M. Night Shyamalan, creator of such classics as “The Sixth Sense” and “Signs,” has finally achieved a landmark in his filmmaking career; every great director must have a massive blockbuster flop. In Shyamalan’s case, it is “The Happening.”

Starring Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, and John Leguizamo, “The Happening” begins with people spouting random nonsense and then committing suicide without any visible reason why. Everyone is fleeing, hoping to survive the mysterious attack. Along the way, they slowly figure out what is causing the bizarre behavior.

If you’re already shaking your head, then the acting will most certainly drive you insane. The gibberish mumbled by the victims serves more as a joke than an eerie forewarning, including lines such as “I can see the calculus” and “My firearm is my friend! It will not leave my side!”

Wahlberg and Leguizamo give decent performances, but Deschanel is simply atrocious and ruins any dialogue with her costars. Her movements and facial expressions are awkward, and her delivery makes you wonder if she forgot how to act like a normal person. Her dead eyes, unmoving face, and monotonous voice make her seem more like she’s working in a library than fleeing for her life. The only truly believable performance comes from Ashlyn Sanchez, a girl who has minimal dialogue but has mastered screaming, running, and looking cute and vulnerable.

This movie was a disappointment, and it only serves to leave a bitter taste in my mouth when I think about how horrible it was and the money I stupidly spent on the ticket. If you wish to continue to respect Shyamalan and his work, skip “The Happening” and hope for better things in the future.

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 3:26 am:
Yeah, this movie was not the best but everyone has a flop now and again, like you said. 

Valery5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i liked this moives It was good.

APoetAtHeart said...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 8:30 am:
As I am not one for scary movies, the plot didn't really flow. It was merely to be, Suicide Afrer Suicide after Suicide. Nothing changed. Very disturbing movie on my behalf.

Ambie said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm:
I actually liked the movie!!! I thought it was pretty good-I give it to you that I was definetley confused at first, but I liked the Suspense. I really think the storyline is very interesting, but it could be better. I think some of it got a little ridiculous though-it's one of those movies that you need to watch a few times to understand it.

oliviarose said...
I actually thought the main plot was kinda interesting but the acting was terrible. Zooey Deschanel isn't a good actress, she really isn't (although her sister is pretty good). Also, I never liked Markie Mark, I think he sucks in general. The casting was bad and not convincing. They could have done a lot better.

skysky9620 said...
I agree! The acting was bad, and seriously, plants making everyone kill themselves??? Very stupid, and a waste of money.

Lisha said...
Aug. 23, 2009 at 9:09 am:
Love the review, hate the movie!

hi said...
Jun. 28, 2009 at 8:10 pm:
i love this movie it is very suspenful

Xavier S. said...
this movie was confusing i like the review though