Angus | Teen Ink

Angus MAG

Angus is a wonderful film. I went to see this thinking it would disappoint me. When I left the theater, I was sad that the movie had ended. This is by far one of the best movies of 1995 and possibly one of my all-time favorites.

The movie deals with a high school loser named Angus (Charlie Talbert) who is paired with his dream girl, Melissa (Jurassic Park's Ariana Richards) as part of a sick joke. Even though Angus knows it's a joke, he tries to make the best of it.

Meanwhile Melissa's boyfriend, Rick (James van der Beek ) who set up the joke, starts to realize that he might lose Melissa if Angus sweeps her off her feet. Though it seems unlikely, he will do anything to erase the joke, even if it means physical punishment.

This sets the stage for the school dance where Angus and Melissa are king and queen. Rick then pulls out all the stops to destroy Angus forever. The ending is essentially "Carrie" without the pigs' blood.

The performances are terrific. At one point every character gives a speech, all of which either infuriate or inspire. Talbert, who was discovered at a Wendy's, acts like a screen veteran. Richards has next to nothing to do until the end of the film, but she is still wonderful.

Jill Gordon's screenplay is based on a short story by Chris Crutcher. The story is predictable until the end when we find out who Melissa really is. I didn't mind the predictability because it is justified in every underdog-beats-the-odds movie.

If foul language disturbs you, you should avoid Angus like the plague. It is appropriately rated PG-13 because of language and some beatings and themes that may be too intense for children under the age of eight.

The rock soundtrack helps with wonderful tracks from the Green Day, Weezer, Dance Hall Crashers, and Love Spit Love.

Angus wasn't given much of a second look in theaters, which is a shame. "Angus" is a very touching romantic-comedy-drama for all ages. Hopefully on video it will find the audience it rightfully deserves

i love this so much!

froggy98 said...
on Aug. 4 2010 at 6:41 pm
froggy98, Hoosicvalley, New York

Say NO to ddrugs and alcohol

awsome movie!:)