The Core | Teen Ink

The Core

February 6, 2014
By AmarisKade PLATINUM, Rye, New Hampshire
AmarisKade PLATINUM, Rye, New Hampshire
21 articles 11 photos 8 comments

If I actually typed out every single mistake in ‘The Core’, I would have a full-length epic on my hands. Naturally, I will not do so. Which means this is nearly everything wrong with ‘The Core.’

The best place to start any brutal attack on a movie is the beginning, I suppose. The bird scene. First off, the scene is accurate in that birds do use the magnetic field as a navigator. However, it would be bees, fish, or sea turtles that would feel more of the effects of the loss of the magnetics field. Birds, while they would be mildly confused, could rely on other forms of navigation (that they have learned to adapt over the course of avian evolution) to find their way around. These back-up systems include things like stars and landmarks (roads, power lines, cities, etcetera.). They would not be unable to fly across the street without smashing a window or two. (Another thing: I don’t know how –unless the glass was incredibly flimsy- the pigeons could simply crash into a window and shatter the whole thing)

Now, the whole point of the movie was to start the outer core spinning again, correct? Well, the outer core spins because the planet spins. It didn’t decide one day ‘Hm, I think I’d like to spend the rest of my life as a spinning layer of molten iron as opposed to a layer of molten iron.’ No. It is liquid, so it too spins. The Earth rotates roughly every 24 hours, as does the outer core. It is just PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the outer core to stop moving. I truly cannot stress enough how stupid the science of this movie is.

Unobtainium. Really? I need not say anything more.

When Virgil descends into the Marianas Trench, it gets sucked into a whirlpool-esque thing. There is no other way to describe it. It starts pushing itself apart almost. This suggests a divergent boundary type, where in fact, the Marianas Trench is located on a convergent boundary.

In the mantle, they encounter a vast geode. There are several things wrong in this scene. First of all, there isn’t any empty space in the mantle. The combined pressure from the ground above wouldn’t allow it. But, for the sake of argument, let’s say that it actually happened. The geode is filled with huge amethyst crystals. Amethyst is a variety of quartz. Quartz is greatly comprised of silicone. For this reason, quartz is very abundant in the crust, which is rich in silicone. There is not enough silicone in the mantle to form quartz. But again, let’s say that quartz was able to form. It just wouldn’t be stable. For this reason, that scene doesn’t work.

The suits. Oh goodness, the suits. They are supposed to withstand the immense pressure of the Earth above them. The material is FLEXIBLE. If there was a suit that could possibly withstand that kind of pressure it would have to look similar to one of those solid white thick metal ones that can’t move. One of the many things I just don’t get about this movie is how the commander dies. The suits can withstand incredible pressures, okay? So he dies because the suit can’t handle the pressure of a rock. A ROCK! What?! The suits are practically indestructible, so why can’t they handle a small rock?

When the ship is nearing the outer core, it passes through a huge section of diamonds. First off, diamonds are composed entirely of carbon. It is geologically impossible for carbon to crystallize in temperatures such as those. Even before the crystals had completely formed, they would collapse. Carbon is also way too dense to stay that deep in the Earth. During the differentiation period of the Earth’s formation, all of that carbon would have risen to the crust. Sorry, Hilary Swank. I guess you won’t be dodging diamonds the size of Cape Cod after all.

The plan was to launch five nuclear bombs each with a power of 200 megatons. That kind of weapon hasn’t even been developed yet. The largest nuclear bomb wasn’t even 50 megatons. And, just one 200 megaton bomb would have to be bigger than an entire compartment of Virgil.

In all, this movie was astounding inaccurate. I would say that it would be enjoyable and thought-provoking to the average uneducated human being, but to somebody with a much higher intellect, it is difficult to bear.

(Also, I noticed that when Rat tries to hack into Project Destiny, he gets 404 Access Denied. He should have gotten 401 Access Denied, seeing as 404 means the page is missing. Fun Fact.)


The author's comments:
We watched 'The Core' in my Earth Science class and had to write a paper on a lot of the bad science in said film. Now, I happened to be fairly sassy in this class, and was therefore sassy in my homework assignments as well. So, I wrote as I would have spoken about the film, and here it is. If you have not watched the movie, I think you should. Particularly if you majored in Geology...