The Last Unicorn | Teen Ink

The Last Unicorn

By Hachiko BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Hachiko BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

-Brom

The 1982 fantasy The Last Unicorn is a beautiful conception of the exquistively creative mind. The directors Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin Jr. have made many other movies together, but The Last Unicorn is by far the most graceful and heart-warming of them all.
The story begins when a unicorn in an enchanted forest learns that she is the last of her kind. A chatty butterfly tells her the Red Bull drove her kind to the ends of the earth years ago. There she becomes compelled to search for her sisters even if it is to the ends of the earth.
On her way she is captured by the Mommy Fortuna and thrown in a cage in the midnight carnival. There she befriends an incompetent magician named Schmendrick. Soon after her and her fool departs, they come to meet Molly Grue. She goes with tem on the unicorn’s quest. As they narrow in on the Red Bull’s lair. They discover it is the castle of King Haggard. With the castle in sight they make camp.
That night the Red Bull finds the unicorn at rest. He chases her, trying to run her into the sea just as he did to her sisters. With the intention of saving her Schmendrick changes her into a young woman. Beautiful as she is, the change traumatizes her. The next day they arrive at the castle. Schmendrick introduces the unicorn as Lady Amalthea, his niece. Haggard takes them in: Schmendrick as his fool, Molly as his scullery maid and Amalthea just to be.
His son, Prince Lir, falls in love with the unicorn, not knowing her true form. She saves her sisters with the help of a drunken magical skeleton and a talking cat. Finally she returns to her forest with the emotion of both love and regret in her heart for having to leave Lir behind.

This movie catches your curiosity and attention in the first few seconds. The music is calm and tranquil making tragedy all the more heartrending. It is a movie I would recommend to anyone. The plot twists and turned in the unicorn’s misfortunes and yet ends with the classic happy ending; yet still with a little heartbreak in the process. It really creates the atmosphere of dreams forsaken and hearts in yearning.