The Great Gatsby (1974) | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby (1974)

By milly97 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
milly97 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

"Just like a rainbow after the rain, a good thing will always happen after you experience the pain."

Rags to Riches, love affairs, injustice and a little bit of racism is what the movie “The Great Gatsby” is all about. This movie the shows the discrimination that existed between rich and poor people. Should we like or dislike a person because is poor or rich?

The great Gatsby of 1974 is the third movie made based on the novel also named “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The Great Gatsby is one of his most famous novels. This movie attracts the reader by the tremendous conflicts take place in this interesting movie. The great Gatsby was directed by Jack Clayton who was born in England in 1921. With an amazing cast the great Gatsby won two Oscars in 1975 for best costume design and also best music.

The great Gatsby starts by Sam Waterston as Nick Carraway in the movie. Nick narrates his experience of moving to West Egg, where rich people lived. He moved across Mia Farrow as Daisy Buchanan, Daisy was Nick’s cousin. Daisy was married to a very wealthy man Bruce Dern as Tom Buchanan. Nick lived next to Robert Redford as Jay Gatsby a very rich man.

Daisy and Gatsby were in love before she got married to Tom. Gatsby was a poor man that wanted to succeed in life, he started working for wealthy people and then became an officer but that wasn’t enough for Daisy. They didn’t get married because at the time Gatsby was poor and there were differences between them. Daisy said, “Rich girls don’t marry poor boys”. That’s why Daisy didn’t wait for Gatsby. Tom a rich boy appeared in Daisy’s life and they got married and moved to West Egg.

Jay Gatsby became a very rich man, he started businesses with many drugs stores making “dirty money”. He also lived in West Egg, he had a really big house and had parties all the time, inviting everybody just to meet again with that one person. At one of Gatsby’s parties he and Nick became friends. Gatsby told nick to invite Daisy to tea and that’s when Gatsby and Daisy meet again. And the conflicts and the action begins.
I loved this movie and how it attracts the audience with all the conflicts that occur in the movie. The Great Gatsby surprises the audience with things that were not expected and that’s what makes the movie interesting. It’s long but interesting and I would recommend everybody to watch The Great Gatsby.