The Devil Wears Prada | Teen Ink

The Devil Wears Prada MAG

By Anonymous

     Based on the 2003 bestseller, The DevilWears Prada outruns the many mediocre films showcased this summer.

An aspiring young journalist in New York City finds a job as thesecond assistant to the editor-in-chief of the fashion magazine Runway.Plunged into the fashion subculture she never understood, or respected,Andrea Sachs (Anne Hathaway) is determined to come out on top and notallow her boss, Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep), to get the best of her.

With the help of co-workers Nigel (Stanley Tucci), Emily (EmilyBlunt), and well-known writer Christian Thompson (Simon Baker), Andyremakes her image and begins to excel. Though the job comes with manyperks (parties, celebrities and free designer duds), the haute-couturelifestyle has its downside, and as Andrea spirals into the culture ofPrada and Gucci, her friends and boyfriend (Adrian Grenier) are confusedand appalled by the quick, graceful change in down-to-earth Andy.

Though the storyline is cliché, the actors bring it life andhonesty, portraying various points of view on the coveted fashionculture. You won't leave the theater disillusioned about thelifestyle. Rather, you'll get a glimpse into a culture that“everyone wants” and the many sacrifices necessary toachieve it. David Frankel does a magnificent job in casting anddirecting “The Devil Wears Prada,” one of the few good filmsthis summer.