'Superbad' Review | Teen Ink

'Superbad' Review

By Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other
Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other

If you want a film that will leave you laughing from start to finish, ‘Superbad’ is the film for you. This teen comedy has stemmed from the brilliant minds of Seth Rogen, who also stars in the film, and Evan Goldberg. The film follows the turbulent platonic relationship between the protagonists of endearing Evan (Michael Cera) and the ever-sarcastic Seth (Jonah Hill). The audience accompany the boys as they attempt to deal with the obstacle of change on their quest for girls and the title of being cool. The film is packed with side-splitting moments of comedy and scenes that will make you recoil in embarrassment as we follow these friends on their difficult, yet awkward, journey. The audience are met with Evan and Seth, two teenage boys who are out to impress the object of their affections. Evan is in pursuit of Jules (Emma Stone) and Seth attempts to charm Becca (Martha MacIssac) despite their best efforts they are met with numerous obstacles of which they must overcome to win the girls. In the heat of the moment, despite being under the legal age, Seth promises to be able to get alcohol for a party to impress the Jules and Becca and this itself presents them with problems which their partner in crime McLovin (Christopher Minz-Plasse) attempts to solve. Best friends Evan and Seth also encounter problems when it appears that Evan is keeping a secret from Seth, despite the almost inseparable nature of their friendship. The relationship between these teenagers could be argued to mirror that of Bret and Jemaine of ‘Flight of the Conchords’ as they shadow each other through their everyday lives.
The film hit the silver screen with full force in 2007 and many have regarded it as a fond favourite ever since. Cera’s character mirrors many of his other previous roles meaning that adopting of the role of exceedingly kitsch and quirky Evan is seamless. Although arguably the main plot revolves around this pair, one should not forget the likes of Fogell or as he is better known ‘McLovin’. His antics will leave you crying: “Ah, McLovin, McLovin, McLovin, McLovin.”just like Officer Michaels (Rogen). Critics have argued that the plot of the film is tediously predictable but the nature of the plot means that the film makes for a light-hearted and entertaining watch. The role of the officers, which have been skilfully undertaken by Rogen himself and Bill Hader, could be said to be exceedingly underrated and they should be highly commended for the comedy gold of which they emit. Many of the hilarious moments within the film mirror that of 2001 teen comedy ‘American Pie’, in regards to the cringe-factor in ‘Superbad’ which will leave you crying with laughter.
The film is undoubtedly a hit among the target demographic and it is easy to see why the film has been such a success. There are countless moments to make you laugh and many more that will leave you squirming in your seat with utter embarrassment for these often misguided and awkward teens. So fasten your seatbelts, as you join this hedonistic trio of Evan, Seth and the magnificent McLovin’, through the trials and tribulations of their friendship on their quest for the opposite sex.

My review of 'Superbad', let's hope that you don't think that my review is super bad!