Titanic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What movie comes to mind when you think of compelling, memorable characters, spectacular visual effects, a fantastic score, and a beautiful, tragic plot? What movie has captured the hearts and imagination of people of all ages around the world? What movie has retained its charm and ­appeal for over a decade, and has earned a rightful place in cinematic history?

The answer is “Titanic,” the 1997 film that opened with low expectations and then astounded the public with its massive success. As the highest-grossing film of all time (until director James Cameron's “Avatar”) and winner of 11 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, “Titanic” raises hopes for moviegoers and does not disappoint.

First, consider an undertaking so daunting that many would deem it impossible: recreating the RMS Titanic and its fateful sinking. This task undoubtedly required much time, skill, and effort, not to mention a huge budget – at the time, “Titanic” was the most expensive film ever made. The ship's splendor shines throughout the movie and adds an atmosphere of magic that film sets rarely manage.

Another element of the film's success is the superb, talented cast. Most notably, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet give commanding performances as Jack and Rose, the young star-crossed lovers separated by ­social class on the maiden voyage of the doomed vessel. They are cast perfectly; a better choice could not have been made. Along with the rest of the cast, including Billy Zane as Rose's wicked fiancé and Gloria Stuart as Rose at age 101, they allow the audience to join their journey and share in their emotions and experiences. By the conclusion, viewers feel very close to the characters and truly care about them, which is why the movie is so poignant and tragic.

So many years after its theatrical release, “Titanic” still has not lost what made it such a success. This moving, simply beautiful story about fate, disaster, and the power of love has proven to be a timeless classic and an epic masterpiece.

Vicky_Vanity said...
May 13 at 6:28 pm:
I love titanic i think this review covered the sentimental part all the way to the exciting suspenseful parts i love the work Kate and Di Caprio did five stars to the review and movie

Jay Lo said...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:56 am:
Awesome review! I think Titanic is one of the greatest movies made which I continue to enjoy. I’ve watched this movie dozens of times using my iPad, using my Sling adapter to my Hopper DVR. This offers portable TV, and I can watch movies on my time. The Hopper lets the family watch any recording from any room, which eliminates the debate on what to watch. I never had this flexibility and I always missed shows. Now I can watch when I want and I’ve been able to get more entertainment t... (more »)

WritingLoverForever said...
May 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm:
This movie was amazing! I never get tired of watching it and the final death scene makes me cry every time. I loved Leo and Kate together in the movie; they had such chemistry, am I right? Thanks for doing a review of this. I was actually hoping somebody would someday. :)

N.Sweet said...
May 5, 2010 at 7:52 am:
I love this movie so much. Leo and Kate <3 the whole story and romance...everything. It is really wonderful! (as is this review)

<невидљив> This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Congrats on getting published! I just got one of my reviews published as well :D Anyways, great article :) Titanic  is and will always be my favourite movie , not to mention Kate who is my fav actress and Leonardo is good as well. Titanic will always continue to be represented as one of the best movies of all times.

karen_xo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Okay so...this is the first film review I ever submitted to Teen Ink (although it's just getting published now). My style has changed so much! As in, it has gotten better :D

clarenceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm :
im a bit obsessed. ive seen the movie 146 times over 6 years. i get what ur saying, how the movie just makes you feel like your in the moment or situation and you can feel the passengers emotions. really good review.

N.Sweet replied...
May 5, 2010 at 7:51 am :
I am extremely obsessed, knowing every single line of the movie and constantly watching it.

DACOOLPERSONLOL replied...
May 16, 2011 at 8:30 am :
SAD.SAD.SAD.SAD.SAD