Batman Begins | Teen Ink

Batman Begins

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

5 out of 5

Batman: Where were the other drugs going?
Flass: I don't know! I swear to god!
Batman: Swear to me!

Tim Burton's "Batman" of 1989 (which has nothing to do with this by the way) was a really good film that took what Batman had became and gave him, and his setting, a great dark atmosphere. Christopher Nolan has done the same, only he also gave Batman a more realistic and deep essence. Nolan has taken characters we have always loved like Bruce Wayne, Alfred, etc. and has turned them, as well as the whole setting of Gotham City into something beyond the comics!

Bruce Wayne: We need to send these people away.
Alfred Pennyworth: Those are Bruce Wayne's guests, sir. You have a name to maintain.
Bruce Wayne: I don't care about my name.
Alfred Pennyworth: It's not just your name, sir. It's your father's name. It's all that's left of him. Don't destroy it.

Everyone here gives a great performance. This is the first comic book movie to have a cast that you would find in an Oscar worthy film; and it IS all Oscar worthy! All of the actors not only try their best, but they also fit the roles perfectly. Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne, Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, Cillian Murphy as The Scarecrow, Gary Oldman as Jim Gordan, and a great Alfred played by Michael Caine. He was perfect for being the nice old man that actually is a deep and interesting character. And Liam Neeson who is just completely as badass as ever as Batman's trainer!

Henri Ducard: You must learn to mind your surroundings!

This is a really well made movie. It's got great directing and even the score by Hans Zimmer is amazing. Having it well made like this shouldn't be too surprising since it's a Chris Nolan film.

I see this as a movie for anyone. If you are into comics it's for you. If you aren't into comics it's still for you.

This is the most intense and serious a Batman movie had ever gotten before this. They finally got Batman right!

This is an origin story for Batman. For me, it will always stand out as both that and as a movie about fear.

Thomas Wayne: Why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up.

After Batman and Robin, which pretty much screamed "reboot", Batman Begins is overall quite masterful. It pushed the boundaries on how great a movie based on a comic book character could be, and it pushed the boundaries on how greatly a reboot can save a franchise.

Bruce Wayne: You still haven't given up on me, have you?
Alfred Pennyworth: Never.