The Office | Teen Ink

The Office

November 20, 2007
By Anonymous

“I Would Rather Clamp My Head in a George Foreman Grill than Miss The Office”

“That’s what she said”. The ever-famous quote frequently recited by Michael Scott, Manager of the Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, seems to always make viewers of the hit sitcom, The Office, have a good laugh. Every week, Office enthusiasts seem to be yearning for the best 30 minutes of their lives on Thursday night at 9:00PM on NBC. The Office is a show that no one ever wants to miss once they are sucked in to the everlasting comedy and sarcasm that exists in the show. It seems to be an all time favorite of all ages because of its cast, hilarious content and the nonstop conflict that makes everyone laugh.

What really gets the viewers attention in The Office is its outrageous cast who are very original and help create an everyday office workplace. There are several main characters in the show such as; Michael Scott- Manager, Dwight Schrute- Assistant Regional Manager, Pam Beesly- Receptionist, and Jim Halpert- Sales Representative. Also, there is a handful of other characters who are still outrageously funny, but kind of stay in the shadows. Like, Kevin Malone, Darryl Philbin, and Phyllis Smith.

There are many conflicts between the employees which, the majority of the time, involve their boss, Michael. For example, last weeks show involved a lawsuit between Michael and Jan Levenson who are currently dating. The problem was eventually resolved but it took the majority of the shows time. These conflicts give The Office a variety of laughs and it provides a large sense of originality.

Although there seems to be a lot of conflict and rivalries, not all the employees are enemies. There are a few relationships and friendships that exist between the characters. However, Michael and Dwight seem to be the only people who everyone tries to avoid.

Overall, what makes this show so great is its originality. It creates everyday life situations that could go on in an office. There is the boss that nobody likes (except for Dwight, Michaels “henchman” as viewed by most characters) and stereotypes and “clicks” (somewhat but not really) among the workers. The people play their characters perfectly to express a typical workplace.