Cast Away | Teen Ink

Cast Away

Cast Away, directed by Robert Zemeckis, starring Tom Hanks, Helen Hunt, and Wilson

(the volleyball), was a huge hit. The ?lm grossed over $233 million domestically adding over

$100 million worldwide.

Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) a FedEx systems engineer was unable to get married due to

his girlfriend, Kelly (Helen Hunt), being unable to commit to him for various reasons. As he

leaves to make the FedEx posts more ef?cient, an unexpected plane crash occurs. the director

made sure to make the plane crash as realistic as he possibly could. First, the thunderstorm helps

and gets the audience to think "Wow a problem with turbulence." Then, the strong wind blows

the plane off course and rips the plane door open. Chuck is able to survive because of raft.

During this scene, Chuck does everything in his power to save the pocket watch from his lover.

After this event, he is stranded on a deserted island with no signs of intelligent life. The only

thing he has left is a picture of Kelly. At ?rst he has a struggle with nature because he is unable to

hunt or ?nd food. Then after, quite some time, he tries to escape by making a simple raft, which

sinks.

Chuck is "cast away" both literally and ?guratively. Being on the island, isolated from his

girlfriend, friends, and family. One of his misplaced value is that he spends more time with his

job than with Kelly. He relies more on his beeper than on Kelly. He is ?guratively cast away

from Kelly because Kelly is unable to be committed to Chuck. Before he gets on his plane, Kelly

gives Chuck her father's pocket watch with her picture. This shows Kelly doesn't want Chuck to

leave. His relationship with Kelly is also "cast away" because he was isolated and he could only

look at her picture. Kelly has moved on with her life and married someone else.

The movie generally was good overall and well directed by Robert Zemeckis. Tom Hanks

portrays in a man's desperation with himself. I suggest that you see the movie due to the graphics

because they were exceptionally outstanding. In my opinion, I would rate the movie six out of

ten.