New Years Eve | Teen Ink

New Years Eve

By Hannah Maldonado SILVER, Denver, Colorado
Hannah Maldonado SILVER, Denver, Colorado

Most everybody can relate to staying up until midnight on December 31st waiting to watch the ball drop on T.V. For many of us, we can only hope to end up in Times Square to watch it happen, but the characters in the movie New Years Eve are right there in person. New Years Eve is a movie full of cheesy jokes and of course the typical love story. There are many well known actors and actresses in the film, but with so many different plots taking place in one film, things start to get jumbled up. The individual stories are pretty clear, but once they are mixed, it’s a big mess of holiday celebration.

This movie seems to capture the most innocent side of the holiday that there possibly could be. Everybody knows what really happens on this day, but it seems that absolutely none of that was shown in this movie. Everything else is so realistic that it looks armature, on the directors part, to not include the true side of this holiday. Garry Marshall, the director of New Years Eve, didn’t do himself justice compared to his previous movie Valentines Day which was heartfelt and much less cheesy.
Some of the many main characters are: Michelle Pfeiffer, Zac Efron, Robert De Niro, Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Sarah Paulson, Katherine Heigl, Jon Bon Jovi, Sofia Vergara, Ashton Kutcher, Sarah Jessica Parker, Abigail Breslin, and Jake T. Austin, but there are many more. To me, the most believable characters were the youngest ones; Abigail Breslin as Hailey and Jake T. Austin as Seth. Don’t get me wrong, the actors did a good job with the material they had to work with, but a better script could have helped. Many of the movie’s faults had nothing to do with the actors or even the characters, but the script and directing its self could have used some help.

There is not really anything very unique about the movie. It is a simple love story with two strangers locked in an elevator, and two teens wanting to get that romantic kiss right at midnight. There’s a couple separated by war, and a father daughter relationship that both actually tugs at your heartstrings. There are a few other relationships that don’t seem to be as important to the story and seem like they were meant to fill some time gaps. Although New Years Eve was a good attempt to show up, or even compete with Valentines Day, it was definitely a failed attempt to do so. With so many main actors and actresses with all different stories, there was no way there could be a clear plot and things still make sense.