Scream 4 | Teen Ink

Scream 4

Directed by: Wes Craven

This past weekend I saw the greatest horror movie ever, Scream 4. Watching the movie was intense during many parts. It actually made me scream and jump out of my seat! The movie, Scream 4 was directed by Wes Craven, who also directed all of the previous Scream movies; Scream, Scream 2 and Scream 3. His work on Scream 4 was very creative and interesting. I felt I was at the edge of my seat for all of the killing scenes. Scream 4 is the movie to go watch because the characters are well developed, the plot is exciting, and it was a huge success in the box office.

The main character is Sydney (Neve Cambell), who has been the same throughout all of the Scream movie series. Two other characters in the movie are Sheriff Dewey Riley (David Arquette) and Gale Weathers (Courtney Cox), now married couple. Sidney, Sheriff Riley and Gale have been really good friends over the years and reunited once again in Scream 4 to help find and stop the Ghostface (Masked Killer) who has returned to Woodboro. There are also a number of other characters in the movie including Sheriff Riley’s deputies Deputy Judy Hicks (Marley Shelton), Deputy Perkins (Anthony Anderson), Deputy Hoss (Adam Brody), and Deputy Jenkins (Gordon Michaels) , a nasty publicist Rachel Walters (Alison Brie) and a group of high scholars who are friends with Sidney’s cousin Jill Jenny Randedll (Amiee Teegraden), Marnie Cooper (Britt Roberson), Kirby Reed (Hayden Panettiere), Olivia Morrison (Marielle Jaffe), Film Geek (Justin Bandt) Charlie Walker (Rory Culkin), and Trevor Sheldon (Nico Tortella), and Jill’s mother Kate Roberts (Mary McDonnell). Jill Roberts (Emma Roberts) is Sydney’s cousin, but they have never met before. As it turns out, Ghostface is back targeting both Sidney and Jill. Jill has two good friends Olivia and Kirby and Trevor is Jill’s ex- boyfriend. Charlie and Robbie are also friends with Jill and are the leaders and vice presidents of the Horror Movie Club at Jill’s high school.

My favorite character in the movie is Gale Weathers-Riley (Courtney Cox). In Scream 4, she and Sheriff Riley were engaged in the last movie and are now married in this movie. Gale has teamed up with Sidney and Dewey again to catch Ghostface. She cares about the safety of Sidney and everyone else surrounding her. Courtney is an amazing actress in the movie and her character is very believable actress.

In the movie the main character, Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), came back to Woodboro after her last stop on her book tour. The book she wrote was called “Out of Darkness.” It is a memoir about all she had been through searching for Ghostface over the years. Ghostface kills about 10 people. Since Sydney has returned to Woodsboro, Ghostface has also returned. Sydney, Gale, and Dewey, along with Jill (Sydney’s cousin) are now all in danger because Ghostface is after them.
The Scream movie series is the 6th highest grossing horror franchise in the United States. It has grossed $442.9 million. On opening weekend the movie grossed approximately $20 million. Scream 4 has grossed approximately $100 million dollars so far since it’s release on April 15, 2011. The movie has made more money in the foreign box office than in the United States with approximately $60 million dollars as compared to the United States with $40 million. Overall, Scream 4 was a big success and has done well in the box office since its release.

I liked the movie because the killing scenes look very real. In one particular scene at the beginning of the movie, one of the girls is crawling away from Ghostface and bleeding. Ghostface is shown moving to the garage door controls to close the door while she is crawling under it. We then see a shot of the girl crawling under and at the last second before the camera shifts, the garage door starts to go down seconds before the camera switches back to Ghostface hitting the "Close" button on the controls. It looked very real. One part I did not like (Spoiler!) in the final shot of the film, Jill's head was moving very slightly, even though she is suppose to be dead.
I feel others will like/enjoy this movie because it has the return of Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, and David Arquette just like in the other Scream movies. This time in Scream 4 it takes a new twist and brings “Social Networking” into the movie. Ghostface does not just want and scare his victims physically or by calling them by phone in the past movies. They added text messaging which gives the movie more of a personal contact with the viewer because just about everyone these days texts by phone.

Overall, this movie is a huge success. The characters and their acting was very believable. The plot always has the viewer guessing and on the edge of their seat. The best part is that I didn’t even have to watch the previous Scream movies to understand what was going on. If you ask me what my favorite scary movie was, it’s Scream 4! They have had the same killer over and over again (not the same person but in the same category.) But this time things have changed. When you think you know who it is, you will never have guessed. I would recommended it to anyone who likes horror, thriller, and scary films. What’s your favorite scary movie?