Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Review, | Teen Ink

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Review,

December 26, 2011
By Anonymous

Based on the novel with the same title by John le Carré, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is set in the bleak days of the Cold War.

After a disastrous operation in Budapest in which British spy Jim Prideaux (Mark Strong) is publicly murdered, the leader of this unknown section of the British Inteligence, Control (John Hurt) and his most loyal officer Smiley (Gary Oldman) are forced to leave. Control suspected there was a mole in the group and, after his murder, political figures order Smiley to investigate. Alongside Peter (Benedict Cumberbatch), he focuses on the top figures of the Circus (as its members refer to it): Bill Haydon (Colin Firth), Percy Alleline (Toby Jones), Roy Bland (Ciaran Hinds) and Toby Esterhase (David Dencik).

The picture captures the atmosphere of the 70s completely and the whole vibe of the Cold War. Based on the stellar performances of a star cast, the story develops nicely, with a lot of flash-backs that are necessary to the story and some surprises along the way. It is beautifully filmed, sometimes the viewer doesn't know in which to focus: the set or the characters.

Pros: Gary Oldman's performance as Smiley, he doesn't say much (literally doesn't talk in the first 20 minutes) but is charged with contention, in a man that seems to feel more than what he can show. Watch out for the scene in which Smiley tells Peter about his encounter with Karla.
The whole cast. Brilliant.
The lack of violence displayed, which is rare nowadays, that makes it more meaningful and shocking when it happens.

Cons: In the midst of the beauty of the film, somehow the identity of the mole seems like an insignificant detail.

Verdict: 9/10


The author's comments:
Check out my blog:

http://mysteryblobber.blogspot.com/