Midsummer Night's Dream (1999) | Teen Ink

Midsummer Night's Dream (1999)

February 25, 2011
By BeckGXF BRONZE, New Holland, Pennsylvania
BeckGXF BRONZE, New Holland, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Not a monster, not a boogey man. Understand that it's just a person- not worth devoting any nightmares to." -Johnen Vasquez


When people think of Shakespeare, they usually think dry, stuffy, and overall boring. However, after watching Michael Hoffman’s version of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Nights Dream (1999) the play has taken me to a brand new standpoint.


The first thing one should know before watching the movie that they changed the time period of the movie so that they could incorporate bicycles for the use of transportation. Even though one may point out this might take away from the play’s overall value, I would have to disagree. I believe that changing the time was an excellent decision for the film. Doing so made the movie more interesting considering it seemed more clean and proper during the Victorian Era rather than the Elizabethan Era where most people were in lack of proper hygiene.


The cast overall did a splendid job of giving Shakespeare’s words emotion and meaning. The lines, even though still in the style of Shakespeare, were delivered with passion and commitment. Every word was said so full of emotion that the phrases would stick with you. The movie did have some awkward scenes that would probably embarrass if watching with one’s parents, but are easily overlooked with the phenomenal work of the rest in the movie. The visuals of the movie corresponded well with the music and created very humorous along with poignant scenes, and was well summed up with Puck’s final monologue to create a wonderful ending.


The movie in whole was intriguing and very well put together. If one finds the time or should need to gain some insight on the works of Shakespeare, one should look upon this well created movie. This movie is well worth the watch.