The King's Speech | Teen Ink

The King's Speech MAG

February 15, 2011
By ww21945 BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio
ww21945 BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We aare the Knights who saay NI!"


As a history film buff, it takes quite a bit to impress me with a historical film interpretation and Oscar-winning “The King's Speech” completely blew me away. With all the current hype about special effects, sci-fi, and Westerns (which are fine in their place), it was refreshing to see a quality movie that was spectacular simply because of the actors' and director's talent.

Many of the characters in the story of King George VI are iconic, weaving in and out of the WWII section of any history textbook. Not a single character in this movie was static; there was constant but realistic character development.

Quite a few films about inspiring stories of historical figures portray a single moment when the character's life turns around, resulting in that person performing his or her wonderful deeds. “The King's Speech” steps through the entire process without being long-winded and effectively shows the work and time Prince Albert put into everything he did before becoming King George VI.

Winston Churchill (Timothy Spall, who also played Peter Pettigrew in the Harry Potter series) could have walked off the screen and given one of his iconic speeches. This was the most prominent example of a historical character being brought to life. Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth, as Queen Elizabeth and King George VI, drew the audience into the pressure and stress of their lives. They made viewers feel the scrutiny that they experienced every second, juxtaposed against the moving and often hysterical friendship between Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) and “Bertie.”

Director Tom Hooper made good decisions about the timing of the movie and what to emphasize. Dwelling on the months spent for more than the minutes allotted to it would have been overkill, and he made it work by showing how King George was applying the techniques during a real speech. The lengthy scene with the king's brother was another fantastic director's choice because it showed the psychological damage that came from his brother's taunts.

Overall, this was the best movie I have seen all year. Even viewers who know how it ends will be on the edge of their seat rooting for the characters. From the adorable daughters to the infamous “Do you know the f-word?” scene to the final declaration of war at the end, this movie will make you cry, laugh, grit your teeth, and want to punch Archbishop Cosmo Lang. One line sums up this movie completely. According to Lionel Logue, “You did good, Bertie.”