Tron: Legacy | Teen Ink

Tron: Legacy

By gcatherinev BRONZE, UEP Subang Jaya, Other
gcatherinev BRONZE, UEP Subang Jaya, Other

If the producers were going for “let the people want more” once the credits roll, they succeeded.

I was left feeling a little confused once the show ended. My apprehension began before the show started because I paid for the tickets for my brother and I (which cost more on a weekend than a weekday, what a ripoff). But hey, he’s spent on me before so its my turn right?

Back to the movie.

Visually it was great. Animation wise it reminded me of the beauty of James Cameron's "Avatar". The camera work was superb. They know how to capture scenes really well so kudos to the director and camera guy. I was impressed. However I was also left with the impression that the writers expected people to do their homework in watching the movie. Elements that were touched on were not fully expanded and left the viewer feeling perplexed. Halfway through the movie the I was asking my brother what was going on and how characters were related in case I missed anything. He was just as confused as I was.

Watching the show we’re introduced to Sam Flynn who was supposedly abandoned by his dad. BUT hey, when he gets in the Grid, he seemed to know what the heck he was doing. Come on, where is his “confusion”? In Avatar at least, Jake Sully was confused half the time and we learned what was going on through his questions instead of being left to wonder for ourselves. Perhaps, if I had watched the ORIGINAL movie I would have understood better. Perhaps. I thought Sam wasn’t suppose to know whats going on as his dad never showed him the Grid. So how does he know everything? Does it get downloaded into them when they become part of the system? Writers of Tron: Legacy, EXPLAIN!

Sam gets saved by Quorra and the best part is he does not even ask her who she is and how she knows his dad until they’re about to “save the day”. Its as though the writers forgot that the viewers didn’t know yet and shoved it in the end. I’m sorry but that does not work. And the storyline of Zuse and Quorra was left hanging. You’d sit there and wonder what their back story was. Maybe that’s what the writers were going for; the questioning of the characters so they can make a sequel.

And about our hero; he is the typical brooding guy who gets ditched (alright, alright), unintentionally abandoned by his dad. He roams around on his bike like a daredevil and messes with his dad’s company every now and again, until he returns from the game and decides to take over his dad’s company with the help of an old family friend. Now, that kinda sounds Batman-ish right? I guess that’s what every boy wants to be: rich, brooding, owns a really cool bike; which is why the characters such as him exist. Really people, VERY cliche. And the “you find your dad only to lose him in the same movie” is overused. but here, I’m guessing it was necessary for the show.

But his dog is adorable. I’m a sucker for French Bulldogs so I’m biased.

Another thing was the Tron/Rinzler subplot. First he was good. Then he became bad after trying to save Kevin Flynn. Then out of the blue he became good after he sees Kevin for basically a "slow motion"-ed second and sacrifices himself. The writers should have expanded on that more. It was way too sudden. Actually, the whole movie was little too rushed. Some of the characters at the start seemed underused and parts of the plot were a bit predictable. If it was better paced with better explanation timings, it would have improved the storyline.

There was a scene where Clu (the bad guy) made an army which reminded me VERY much of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, the scene where the Chancellor Palpatine is basically showing off his new toys. Fans of STAR WARS may see that similarity. I guess some bad guys have a thing for gazing at their army.

Yet all in all, Tron was a pretty good watch, if you ignore the confusion. I am actually tempted to watch it again for kicks even with the many flaws I noted above. After a peek at Wikipedia, the whole thing made more sense. I'm sure the movie will skyrocket Garrett Hedlund's (Sam Flynn) career to household name status as the future action figures will leap off the shelves.

If you're a Sci-Fi fan, you may well enjoy it. If you're not, the beauty of the animation will tempt you to conversion.

JackieH PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Don't break character, you've got a lot of heart. ~ The Killers

Hi there I figured it would be way easier to contact you this way. I read your review of Glee and totally agreed with it! I ships Klaine and I ships em hard. I, too, wrote a review of glee (third season only) and wanted your opinion on it. to see if you agreed or disagreed. It would mean a lot to me if you checked it out! thanks for your time!!! toodles :)